1984 Stumpjumper

I know this is sn older thread, but I thought this information could be helpful to anyone trying to identify, restore, or build one of the early Stumpjumper models. These two links to Specialized model specs should provide some clarification to the differences and components on the different vintage Stumpjumper models for 83 and 84.

83 spec catalog: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yc7...mh2_Y2-Lw/view
'84 spec catalog: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fni...fMqDHacx8/view

Per the info in the links, 83 had the regular Stumpjumper and Stumpjumper Sport. In 84 there was the Sport, Sport XT, Stumpjumper, and SC. I think there was also the pink Team model with the unicrown fork that is not listed in the brochure. It lists the paint colors of each model, which will help identify them, because the components weren’t always exact. For example, I have a silver 1984 Sport, but it has the slingshot stem and deer head XT shifters, which came on the regular Stumpjumper. According to the brochure, the Sport would have had the chromoly bull moose bars and SunTour thumbies.

Great resources - thanks for sharing - perhaps these could be uploaded to the archive catalog resources here?

Interesting to see the 1984 Models progressed from Sport, Sport XT, Stumpjumper, and SC as the prices increased. Thus the regular Stumpjumper was 2nd from the top of the range. $535, $599, $700 then $899 respectively. I had assumed until seeing this that the Stumpjumper would have been the base model and all the others the steps up the range, which is how it worked in the 1990s model ranges

1697319080022.png

1697319217960.png

Attachments

• 1697319054131.png
    1697319054131.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Interesting to see the 1984 Models progressed from Sport, Sport XT, Stumpjumper, and SC as the prices increased. Thus the regular Stumpjumper was 2nd from the top of the range. $535, $599, $700 then $899 respectively. I had assumed until seeing this that the Stumpjumper would have been the base model and all the others the steps up the range, which is how it worked in the 1990s model ranges

View attachment 787381

View attachment 787382
Yeah, that’s why the early bi-plane fork Stumpjumpers are higher value on the used market than the Stumpjumper Sports. I was fortunate to find a near mint 1984 Stumpjumper Sport a couple years back. All original except for the grips. It differs from the above brochure specs in that it has the slingshot stem and Deore XT shifters that would have come on the regular Stumpjumper or SC. From what I have read, they would sometimes build the bikes with what they had in stock, so they were not all built to the spec sheet.

Back