1984 Ritchey Timberwolf. All together, time to test ride!

Re: 1984 Ritchey Timberwolf. Big box arrives. Fun day ensues.

I have a LOT of love for this bike and its journey to you - absolutely fanstastic!! :cool:

Lovely bike, but you have to change the grips.

Think you have to use something like these:

800.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Stumpjumper1990, I know they are not the 'correct' grips-I'm going to be using Grab-Ons from First Flight if they are still available. When riding I do not like mushroom grips of any style. Right now the build is just parts I had on hand, there is a lot to do.

Agree on the grips. Hard to go wrong with the Deerhead build. It would drive me crazy not having matching wheels. Those black brakes are the cats meow, worth searching out a matching set. The paint looks great. I think you are safe with those Spec. bars unless you have the opportunity to come across a filet brazed set someday. Strong makes a cool black seat post that would work for 1984. Possibly black Sugino rings also? Figuring out the year of a early mid 80's Ritchey is tough. The thumbies are funky, how do they feel? I have some filed Suntour Mighties, but don't think I have ever seen that done to the early Shimano.

I dig the enthusiasm expressed in your thread. Certainly the way I feel when a new project is on the way. Enjoy the build. Fantastic pickup!

Re:

Great find, cool colour and pleased it arrived safely!
Those rims look like they were made to match that bike! :cool:

Looking forward to seeing progress! ;)

Mike

Thanks guys!

Ductape, the thumbies worked really well for me, I have large hands. Cool mod! The wheelset is bizarre, 600 rear hub, 730 front, and late 90's rims, not right for anything. The blue set isn't perfect but will be very good for a rider. A Strong seatpost would be perfect. I'll probably run a black Kalloy until I can score one.

I'm leaning toward an early 1984 build date for this bike. The cable guides are bullet shaped, and not slotted, aside from the top tube. Front derailleur cable routing is above BB, RD is below. The '83 MountainBikes catalog lists a Sugino AT crankset for the Tam, for '84 it's called the TimberWolf, and used a 600. I believe the press-fit BB indicates pre-'85 as well.

I've been hunting down more parts and will update with pics shortly.

Re: 1984 Ritchey Timberwolf. Perfect bars found, parts going on.

Alright-this project hit the back burner a bit, warm weather hit and the reality of spring household projects took over. I did manage to score my ideal set of handlebars from ebay a couple weeks ago:

Black anodized, Nitto made, Ritchey Mountainbikes stamped, 1983 era, low rise...perfect for this build. I was a bit shocked they came up. The seller also had Magura grips I would have loved, had I noticed in time. Also period tires, and black M700 shifters! No room in the budget for those after springing for the bars, unfortunately. No great loss on the shifters-I like using the originals, especially since they had been cut down. Tires and grips though... :(

With the bars in hand, my interest was rekindled. Time to prep!

Polished and ready:

Parts on!

I've got Grab-Ons from First Flight coming this week to replace the cheap copies I bought on a whim for a couple bucks...should have spent it on beer instead. For now the seatpost will be fine, a period black one is proving elusive, same with the MC70 brakes. I don't mind the black front/polished rear cantilever look though.

More pics on the way as I get it cabled up!

Attachments

• DSCF8941small.jpg
    DSCF8941small.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 688
  • DSCF8945.JPG
    DSCF8945.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 689
  • DSCF8951sm.jpg
    DSCF8951sm.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 689
  • DSCF8957sm.jpg
    DSCF8957sm.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 689

Fantastic build. Don't know how I missed it first time round but glad I've found it now.
Those bars look brand new. Great score. I think black shifters would look good too. Those cut down ones look a bit funky to me! :facepalm: Not sure how common black M700 shifters are. I'd never seen a set until I bought the ones for my Aventura. Blue rims look good to me too, and era correct as well. :cool:

Re:

Thanks! The black M700 parts are out there, just harder to find. I already have one waiting-left and right are the same shifter (clever design there), so that simplifies things a bit. I think I may shave down the rubber covers so they blend better with the shift levers. The abrupt cut line and thickness of the rubber do make the shortened levers look a bit odd! Works for my big hands though.

The weather is looking spectacular this week, I'm hoping to get it out of the basement and out for a proper ride.

Looking good - loving the build :)

Back