1984 Peugeot PGN 10

Jonners

Retro Newbie
Hi folks,
I've been considering a decent large-frame retro Peugeot road bike for a while now, to complement my 1982 Claud Butler Majestic. They seem to be pretty scarce in a size that will suit my 6' 3" gibbon shape, but by pure coincidence I spotted this very recently for sale at a price I simply couldn't ignore:

20230516_091329.jpg

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty certain that it's a PGN 10. The frame number tells me that it's a 1984 model and, while it has a few inevitable small chips and scratches, it's in extremely nice condition. It has clearly been looked after very well for the last 39 years:

20230516_091410.jpg

It has quite new brown perforated bar tape, which I admit I don't think suits the bike, so I intend to replace it with either white (which us how PGN 10s seem to have been delivered from what I can tell from looking at old catalogue photos) or black. The brake calipers have been replaced with aftermarket Campagnolo items - which are VERY effective! - but the originals were included in the sale along with a spare wheel in excellent condition.

20230516_091421.jpg

The chrome forks look great, and the various decals are in very good nick with the exception of some very minor scratches here and there.

20230516_091539.jpg

I've replaced the tyres, as the bike hadn't been used for 3-4 years and the ones it was wearing when purchased had started to perish. For now it has inexpensive Michelins while I shake it down and tweak it to fit me, then I might treat it to something nicer.

20230516_091428.jpg

Shimano derailleur and 12-speed ('12 vitesses'!) gears, wheels in lovely condition. The suede saddle is badly faded but complete and without holes; I suspect that it might be the original Vetta saddle with the text worn away, but I'm open to being corrected. Either way, it does the job perfectly well so I'll stick with it for now.

20230516_091510.jpg

It's a very different machine to my Majestic (much lighter, for a start); now that the weather seems to have cheered up I'm looking forward to getting to know it better. I'm chuffed to bits with ut, especially as the asking price was only £100!

Jon

Back