1980s Centurion MTB

Re:

Nice job!

I see these old Centurions come up on Ebay, and I'm tempted.

If you still want some high flange hubs I have a pair of Alesa/Joytech wheels sitting around awaiting a little TLC. They're not my style so I'm happy to karma them if you're happy to clean them up and give them a new lease of life.

Attachments

• Joytech.JPG
    Joytech.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 692
Re:

Thanks JonTom. I recently took the bike out after a month of rain here and came back covered in crud but had a very big smile at the end of it. Handles really well in the dirt and even passed two riders on their fancy dual suspension bikes on the descent! I might be interested in those wheels PM me on where you are located in Sydney.

Re:

can I just say thankyou very much.

I was given a very tatty frame (was resprayed about 15 years ago but rusted again since then) by a friend to build up for a charity event I'm planning and had no idea what it is except it had that unique bar and stem combination which was the reason I wanted it.

looking at this it is definitely the very same bike so now at least I know what it is. Im afraid to say it won't be given any special treatment as the idea of the project was to make it look like it wouldn't survive a 2 mile ride let alone the 200 miles it will be doing. :LOL:

nice to know the link to diamondback as Im a fan and actually own a diamondback sorrento as well.

Nice work. I'm currently working on a Diamondback RidgeRunner of around the same vintage. Main difference is mine comes with Superbe mechs and the real deal diacompe brakes and levers. How did you get your bull moose bars cleaned up so nice?

Re:

I used a combo of WD40 and fine steel wool and a good dose of elbow grease. They're not perfect but heaps better than original condition when I got it.

Re:

Thanks. Remember all old bikes have potential unless it's got two front wheels and no rear ones :mrgreen:

Hi,

I saw your frame and seem similar to one I have that is kind of a mystery. Mine has a WAKxxxxxT serial that indicates imported to Denmark in 1980 by Centurion bikes. If you still have the bike or kept records I am interested in your serial, the date stamped on the fork steerer tube and the length of the top tube C-C. I am also curious about your bike since the first ATBs they made was the 1983 Ridge Runner, later changed to the MeanStreak in 1984. These DB frames may have been made as early as late 1982. Some of the parts on your frame look to be of 1984, but frame may give date cues. One cue of its vintage MTB age it's the single water bottle braze set.

I hope it's a long shot but hopefully, you'll reply.

Santuri

Back