1980 CINELLI Supercorsa find! WOW - Save & re-build restoration thread

fguki

Senior Retro Guru
Now that was a find! I am happy ...

Just recently, I bought this "nostalgic Cinelli road bike" as the seller listet this gem. I immediately noticed all the Supercorsa specs and realized, that the previous owner(s) at some point simply sprayed some red over the beautiful white pearl finish. Funny enough, they at least left out the Cinelli logos :)

No signs of any former accidents or damages and the chrome is in great shape. My 1984 is much worse.

Price wise Lets put it this way: I paid about 40% - 50% of which you would normally have to pay for a Supercorsa of that time - if it already was a bargain! :) I wont say more.

I admit: I am a sucker for the pre 1985 Supercorsas and their beautiful "old lug" manufacturers from Switzerland I think it was. Before they switched the lugs and the BB shell to the "spoiler type" a little later around 1985.

The seller listet it as size: 56 which would have been one notch too small for me. Actually, it is a 58! So it fits me perfectly which really was the cherry on the icecake.

Now, since I already own a fully restored pearl white Supercorsa, I am going to commit blasphemy and will strip and re-paint this gem in my absolute dream Supercorsa color: Laser blue metallic.

Lets start this project build here! Enjoy:

1980 Cinelli Supercorsa build pearl white laser blue restoration project Falko Schloetel Germa...jpg

1980 Cinelli Supercorsa build pearl white laser blue restoration project Falko Schloetel Germa...jpg

Thank you! I can professionally paint myself. But I might give it to a painter collegue. Well see ...

Finally started working on the 1980 Supercorsa again as well ... scheduled "stripping one tube per working day - kind of" for myself. Started with the forks! I am using a regular MEYER paint stripper - made in Germany. Bought that at Amazon. Stay tuned!:

1980 Cinelli Supercorsa build pearl white laser blue restoration project Falko Schloetel Germ...jpeg

1980 Cinelli Supercorsa build pearl white laser blue restoration project Falko Schloetel Germ...jpeg

Heres an update for you!

My 1980 and 1985 CINELLI Supercorsa frames are now carefully stripped and ready for masking & primer paint. I guess the 1980 had some repair in the past - yikes. But thats okay. I dont necessarily need real wall hangers or museum-bikes :) I love me some history on the bikes!

Back