Si_33

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
10EBBD68-AE8D-4426-8243-5BA28DDF88AF.jpeg

The Topanga!, (exclamation mark part of the name), was Victor Vincente’s design for a mountain bike. In the late 1970s, 26” rims were steel and tyres were heavy balloon type, so he designed a bike around the readily available 20” alloy BMX rims and well developed tyres.

Victor used a couple of different welders to build up his tube-sets on a low level production run. He also sold tube-sets unbuilt and the Topanga! found a second life on the brief 1980s F1 BMX scene.

This bike is an original VVA tube-set that was welded up into a frame in recent times. Victor had tube-sets left over from the initial batch and they were stored in his barn. Chad Logan (aka Mr. Tick), a frame builder and friend of Victor’s built this one up 40 years after the tubing was cut. It’s a continuation of the Topanga! journey, Chad being the latest builder to weld up a tube-set for Victor. The fork was welded up in-period with the first run and is to Victor’s own design.

The build is a mix of period components and more modern parts including Chad’s own design handlebar. I’m thinking of doing a ‘phase 2’ build with a few more original parts that Victor specced and with more gold accents - more to come.

I feel the Topanga! has an interesting place in the history of the MTB we know today. I hope it brings some enjoyment and a bit of fun! Better photos to follow. I’ll add a bit more background about Victor and add some magazine articles soon.

BE849E51-6899-4F18-89AC-1B300F2BE273.jpeg

raidan73

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Viva VVA! Quirky and awesome mate

MattiThundrrr

Kona Fan
Incredible! Add the Mr Tick reputation to a nos VVA tubeset, and you have a pretty awesome build! Will Victor/Chad be making more, or was this a one-off thing?