1979 Claud Butler - Cresta 531

t-bon3

Dirt Disciple
Don't really need another bike but kind of tempted by this one, is it worth it?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 1341570043

$_86.JPG

No, not really...well not in my opinion anyway... its from the very bottom of the range mid to late 70's... Actually, I'm not even sure if Holdsworth made the Cresta's... I think they might have been bought in cheap frames... certainly the lowest standard that they (Holdsworth) ever stooped to .

And yes I know there is a red one on eBay for £999..... but personally if it was on my doorstep I'd give maybe £20 as the Selle Anotomic saddle could possibly be worth that alone.

Re:

Thanks, went to have a look at it and pretty sure it's not a Cresta.

Frame number puts it at 1979, the frameset is all 531 tubing and it has a 'hand made by holdsworth' badge on the frame.

It looks like a slightly custom Colstar / Majestic frameset with Suntour V GT Luxe alloy groupset in good condition (the Raleigh branded one)

Seller also had a 1986 Raleigh Granada frame / forks / bars, so I made an offer for the pair. Now I have 2 extra bikes to restore!

Yeah, sorry...I was being a bit dismissive.. that group set is worth a few quid..didn't spot it.

As for it is... my money is still on the Cresta, they all had hand built holdsworthy stickers (can't remember where I had read the rumour about the Cresta frames, sorry)

Cresta, Jubilee & Majestic all had this sort of under top tube arrangement for the rear brake cable up until 1980/81
This period (pre 1981) the Colstar & Competitor had top tube clips.
Post 1980 they all had the triple straight through for outer cable guides in-line on top of the top tube.

PS. It would need to be all double butted inc forks for it to be the top of the line Colstar.

PPS. Awesome find if it is! :xmas-big-grin:

Re:

Thanks for the guidance and the website, what a great resource!

Agree unlikely that it's a Colstar with the brake cable stops on the top tube.

Would a 1979 Cresta have 531 main frame tubes?

The other thing is the pump bosses on the front of the seat tube, is this common? In the catalogs the pumps all seem to be under the top tube until the 1980/81 models?

Re: Re:

t-bon3":1vlcjsif said:
Thanks for the guidance and the website, what a great resource!

Agree unlikely that it's a Colstar with the brake cable stops on the top tube.

Would a 1979 Cresta have 531 main frame tubes?

The other thing is the pump bosses on the front of the seat tube, is this common? In the catalogs the pumps all seem to be under the top tube until the 1980/81 models?

The 70’s & 1980/81 Cresta & Majestic definitely had pump pegs in front of the seat tube. But sometimes between 81 & 83 they were dropped (certainly from the Majestic) And I’m pretty sure both had main tube plain gauge 531

Back