1975 Raleigh sbdu 58

Re:

Wow!
That is looking really lovely, better than new.
Dave and Martin painted my Mercian and while the photos look great the photos don’t do the finish any justice compared to in person. This looks spectacular in the photos so can only imagine it’s more impressive in the flesh.
Going to look great when built back up :)

Jamie

Re: Re:

AndyMart":2qfzlsc0 said:
Well after all this time the frame is with the painter and I expect it will be finished this week. Fork has fresh chrome and I know its going to look amazing. Pics to follow.

Hi, who did the chrome and can they do it by post?

Thanks, Dan.

Re: Re:

Retro Dan":3m7t8ctk said:
AndyMart":3m7t8ctk said:
Well after all this time the frame is with the painter and I expect it will be finished this week. Fork has fresh chrome and I know its going to look amazing. Pics to follow.

Hi, who did the chrome and can they do it by post?

Thanks, Dan.

Agbrigg chrome platers. Give em a ring.

Getting it back together. Really pleased.

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_181620_copy_1400x912.jpg
    IMG_20210314_181620_copy_1400x912.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 111
More progress. Awaiting outer cable.

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_175555_copy_1335x908.jpg
    IMG_20210315_175555_copy_1335x908.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 90
That looks amazing! I have one of these frames and I think it needs repainting. My son used to ride it to school for many years and it was rather neglected. He thought it was quite cool to be riding around on such an old bike, it must be about 1980 I should guess. Could you let me have the contact details of the painter, and a very rough estimate of what it cost you?
many thanks. Jim

That looks amazing! I have one of these frames and I think it needs repainting. My son used to ride it to school for many years and it was rather neglected. He thought it was quite cool to be riding around on such an old bike, it must be about 1980 I should guess. Could you let me have the contact details of the painter, and a very rough estimate of what it cost you?
many thanks. Jim
Hi, if you really have one of these SBDU framed bikes that your son rode to every day school, that's amazing!
To make sure, look underneath the upside down bike at the bottom bracket for the frame number.
As was said before, these Special unit frames all started SB then up to a four figure number, sometimes an additional H and number present and possibly a frame size in cm, roughly in the range low 50s to mid 60s like this one has 62. (As seen in very first few pics. in this thread.) Raleigh Pro. team also had their initials stamped there with the sizing figures.
This guy's blog site will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know to help identify it.

Remember, SBDUs are Special and historically important, don't muck around with them, seek guidance here, and from Neil McGowran of the link, just above, before you start.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Robin.

Back