1965 Masi Special

Citoyen du monde

rBotM Winner
I have owned this bike for a while now and have slowly been building it up. The steer tube of the fork is marked showing that the frame was built in 1965. When refound, the bike had been repainted multiple times and it carried Masi Gran Criterium decals as well as mostly newer components. It had apparently been handed down through many members of a Milanese cycling team with updates and replacements of the components. It is still a work in progress even if I have been riding it, including earlier this week.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 3,168
  • IMG_1539.JPG
    IMG_1539.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 3,168
  • IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 3,168
  • IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 3,168
Here are some additional photos.

Attachments

• Production year code.JPG
    Production year code.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,165
  • IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 3,165
  • Fork_crown.JPG
    Fork_crown.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 3,165
and some more photos

Attachments

• IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 3,164
  • Mozzo anteriore.JPG
    Mozzo anteriore.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 3,164
  • Guarnitura.JPG
    Guarnitura.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 3,162
I really like that. My size too. It may just be me but, I think road bikes of around that size just look to have perfect proportions.

Thats a lovely bicycle - clean uncluttered no nonsense - quality - yes indeed. I'm enjoying looking at this. What is the ride like and what more will you be doing?

Nice :)

We used to paint the insides of the large flange hub cutouts in the early 1970's (as well as the chainrings). Did yours come painted ?

Shaun

toomski":1arx1fr3 said:
Thats a lovely bicycle - clean uncluttered no nonsense - quality - yes indeed. I'm enjoying looking at this. What is the ride like and what more will you be doing?

Thank you for all the comments. The bike rides quite nicely. Very neutral handling and very stable. Perhaps a bit too stable for my likings in a group but ideal for long rides. Because of this particular adeptness for long rides, I will likely change the tubulars to something with a bit greater air volume (i.e. fatter). It was only upon viewing the photos here that I have decided that I should change the rear derailleur cable housing to the stainless steel uncovered type (the white stands out too much). I will also likely look to add a double handlebar bottle cage (right now I have been riding with a bottle in my jersey pockets). I'm still debating as to whether I should also add a third top tube brake cable clip.

BTW, I am looking for a replacement handlebar clamping bolt for the Cinelli stem if anybody has any sources as the one fitted has a hex head that is unsightly (but fully functional)

Midlife":a07ulorr said:
Nice :)

We used to paint the insides of the large flange hub cutouts in the early 1970's (as well as the chainrings). Did yours come painted ?

Shaun

The red paint in the hub cut-outs is at least 40 years old. I don't believe Campagnolo ever did this at the factory. I can't remember where I recovered these hubs, I believe they were off a Hugh Porter from the 60's that died an early death when the brazing of the BB came undone. When I first started working on the hubs they looked exceedingly bad with plenty of oxidation of the alloy, however with plenty of elbow grease, steel wool, polish and time, they came out very nice indeed.

Back