1950 Claud Butler Avant Coureur - a cloak of many colours

sherlylock":3efdudir said:
Peachy!":3efdudir said:
I love those details... Pm me Mart if you need any more measurements as I’ve got a couple of old frames with very similar layouts.
Btw, all the CB frames with box lining that I’ve come across have “open” or three sided boxes on the seat & chain stays.

Great info.....and thanks for the PM with reference pics!

So.....are there any frame painters who will re-do box lining and pinstriping, alongside a repaint and re-decal? All my builds so far have been homebrew, self paint jobbies - not very experienced in sending a frame out for refinish!

Bob Jacksons did the box work on Mrs Peachys Ladies Sport, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=389741
Its good, but not 100% quite up to the standard of some work I've seen on original Clauds & Jack Taylors

I'd assume that Argos do it as well....

Been gathering a few parts for this.....decided I wanted Williams cranks....similar to those fitted to my other 50's Claud.

Spotted these on eBay today for a tenner. They're dog rough but they were cheap and I have a plan for refurbishment. Worth a punt.....

yYUoeNTh.jpg

Set of GB standard levers - cheers Peachy!

58hFHyXh.jpg

Then, from the same seller that I bought the cranks from I spotted a mismatched pair of GB levers......one with the often missing brass adjuster. So I bought them too. I need a single GB lever for my single speed Claud too so nothing will go to waste......and I can get a second brass adjuster machined up and maybe find a way to use it on one of the GB standard levers (to make a matching pair).

Excellent.....

Whilst I probably shouldn't delve back into a project that I've shelved for a while the temptation to do some more electroplating is too much to bear. Knowing that I had a Gnutti headset cleaned up in almost bare steel meant that a quick dig in the shed would give me an ideal candidate for a bit more plating.

c8tu6b5h.jpg

A bit more prep was needed - especially the top nut. Broke out the needle files to remove some of the burrs and cleaned up with some wet and dry paper before a bit of a polish prior to plating. Lots of battle scars and some pitting that I daren't remove (for fear of losing the Gnutti engraving) A quick pickle in HCl and then cracked on with some plating.....

R3IE2xDh.jpg

ULiKUgRh.jpg

I’ve got to do some of this...

A bilaminates was the first ever frame I pulled from our tip when I first started going there, it had been in use with modern kit.

Latest posts

Back