Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 100% Bells & Whistles Restoration

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • History preserving Retro-Mod

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

Either way, best wishes with the restoration.

....but no wheelies ;-)

Re: What to do with the Stars & Stripes Claud Butler 1949 Path

I am with yourself on this, in as much as the restoration and refurb is great but it is a bicycle that is at its best being ridden.
I learnt that for myself if I am restoring purely for the sake of it or especially if it is for the 'look' or just for the kudos of owning then I lose motivation very quickly. It's the thought of actually bringing something back to it's workable best but mainly the thought of riding it that is usually the original motivating factor. It's usually when I see something in a run down state and imagine what it would be like to ride if given a bit of tlc that I get excited. It may be that I then have something invested in the finished frame that adds to it's history, I don't know really, just that is how it seems to be with myself.

Jamie

I’d be different & go custom route first with a full respray then get into slotting, pantograph work & make it unique....

If it does turn out to be Jack Heid's frames then obviously a full restoration would be in order. Maybe even if it's somebodies replica I think if it is based on Jack Heids then a restoration might be in order. I also think it would look amazing repainted with that start and stripes in a proper Bob Jackson repaint.

Jamie

9 to 1 to 1 looked odd so I thought I'd add another vote for option 3.

It wants using and you can't verify it's history so In your shoes I'd do the same, that way if farther down the line you can verify it has some interesting and verifiable history you can go down the full resto route then.

Either way the original thread is an interesting read and I'm quite keen to see what the finished machine turns out like.

Presumably the fork ends are 5/16 and 3/8, and rear width 4.5 inches.
Also the forks always looked later to me, perhaps it had a rebuild around mid 50s, the handlebar stem, pedals and headset are certainly from mid 50s on.

Keith

Re:

I was running 10 speed in 1949, but really needed the extra space road ends gave.
Used to run the chain close to the ends, and gear touching the spokes in low gear to avoid having the rim over one flange of the hub.

Keith

Re: Re:

torqueless":1k8r5cea said:
Yeah, please resist the temptation to spread the rear end. That is a single-speed bike.

That ship may have sailed... when I striped her down she sprang open like a friendly lass from Grimsby :shock: :oops: :facepalm:

I’ll check the measurements when I get home, but it looks like the spacing is already 10mm wider than it should be.

Re: American help required - stars & stripes Claud Butler

So, the lad has obviously been looking at RetroBIKE and the open poll I have started viewtopic.php?f=12&t=386371
regarding the future of this frame set whilst at school and is getting rather excited, (the poll is leaning towards his idea) here are some images from e-bay of the items he wants to use as dressing!

Oh dear, it looks like its going to be as reserved as one of THM’s mountain bikes…… :shock:

I can feel my V-CC membership being revoked as I type. :facepalm:

Attachments

• Saddle.jpg
    Saddle.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Tape.jpg
    Tape.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Bars.jpg
    Bars.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 241
  • Plugs.jpg