1937 SCHWINN EXCELSIOR X - NICKEL PLATED - GARY FISHER CLONE

Re:

Rear wheel done. Laced with union .80 spokes the exact dame pattern as Garys..complete with "errors"..

On the home stretch!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 837
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 820
Re:

Super rare front union hub rechromed.. What a job by Gary's customs!

This will be the only rechromed part. The fork cleaned up pretty well so I'm leaving it!

On another note I am having the frame replated again.. The underlaying metal texture is incorrect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 780
Re: Re:

34henry3w":3ig7bavw said:
Rear wheel done. Laced with union .80 spokes the exact dame pattern as Garys..complete with "errors"..

On the home stretch!
curious, what are these "errors"? care to explain to the "clueless" ones like myself? ;)

Re:

Hey man,

By errors I mean that Gary's wheel is laced improperly. You should have the valve stem between the two spokes that move away from each other so it is easier to get your hand and pump in there.. I replicated this...

Re:

I Dont suppose you found out the make, name, and style of those bars at all,im after some for my project,wicked bike by the way.needs a good hammering

Re:

Hey man

Unknown Unfortunetly I am using a wald right now. It is cut down to suit.

General update.. Getting Frank the welder to do some seattube reinforcement soon...

Woah, your attention to detail and use of period correct parts is amazing. Not too many people go this far to exactly reproduce something that was a throw together when it was created. That makes it all that much cooler. Mad respect 34henry3w for a job very well done. One of my many projects sitting around rusting is a 50 Schwinn straight bar I had built when I was 15. I look forward to a complete re vamp on it about a year from now. More pressing projects first.

Re:

Thanks Artsy Fartsy!

An update..

Bit the bullet and had the frame striped and blasted. It is going to Frank the Welder for some serious surgery to make it structurally sound to ride. (invisible of course)

It is clear to me now that Gary's frame looks the way it does due to a coarse sandblast and rust pits covered by standard shiny nickel..aged over time. So, I will mimic this when I re-plate.

Ebay is unbelievable...60 year old NOS brake shoes for my front union hub!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 603
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 602
Back