1937 Cyclo Ace gears back in use.

That baby shouldn't wobble, the angles look great on it.

With regards to the gears, I've been reading Classic Lightweights recently and it looks like a lot of those early sets took a bit of encouragement to change fully and correctly. Many of them had a maximum range of 10 teeth between bottom and top gears too, which you've exceeded in both of those setups.

What a great looking bike though, really love it. So many old bikes popping up on here recently - it's fantastic!

Re:

In reply to Jonny69, I do seem to have exceeded the original expectations of the gears. The originals used a 1/8” chain and as can be seen and the block is not up to modern standards.
Having replaced the block with an old Regina one and with a newish 3/32” chain, the shifting has been vastly improved and I suspect that this is the main reason why it all works. I have not been over very rough terrain yet, but I reckon the chain may jump off, but with the addition of a couple of suitable bent metal retainers under the tension wheel and another on the bottom of the shifting fork all will be sorted.....

Re:

The bar tape is temporary until I can find a suitably long stem, the one fitted is too short and I am looking for a 110 or 120mm version.

Re:

Hi Boscarn

Admiring this rather lovely project you have
Absolutely fantastic
Is it the same stem as seen in the post?
I think I have one if so. But would have to check on the length
Can do that this morning if it is what your looking for

Regards
Malc

Re:

Thank you all for the great replies, I am quietly chuffed to bits.
Malc, I am after a GB stem, preferably a spear point version, but would consider any GB stem with 110mm or 120mm reach, what have you got?

Re:

A very nice Williams chain set was obtained, and replaced the one fitted, however the replacement ran so far out of true that the spider arm fouled on the frame. I have straighten many a chain set, but this time I failed, the Williams crank set is cast and will not give.

A Gnutti chain set was obtained, and ran very true, but the clearance between frame and ring was tight. To give an extra 1/8” clearance the drive side bearing in the BB were replaced with ¼”, this also gave the optimum chain line and although the clearances are tight all works well and in my opinion the Gnutti looks better.

After a search for a longer GB stem, I found this one, a 115mm Carnielli on US EBay, it was the correct length and the scroll work matched the frame lugs. After a good polishing it was fitted and finial the bars wrapped in cotton bar tape. First I fitted some lengths of inner tube over the bars, mounted the brake levers and the more inner tube. The starting at the top, wrapped down the bars and finished on the brake levers, another roll was used to continue, this time starting on the brake levers and continuing down to the ends, a wine bottle cork was cut in half and used to finish off. Using this method, no other tape is used, and a comfortable thickness with a little give is obtained.

Finally, the toe clips came into scrutiny, and after browsing the Net I found some new MKS wire style clips from sjscycles; http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mks-full-cag ... prod33814/

Here is the finished bike, all comments gratefully received.

Attachments

• P1000895.JPG
    P1000895.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 518
  • P1000915A.jpg
    P1000915A.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 518
  • P1000907A.jpg
    P1000907A.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 518
  • P1000908A.jpg
    P1000908A.jpg