17" decent steel frame and forks

ChrisFerg

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

deja vu, but I've been having a complete nightmare with frames recently. I'm looking for a 17" frame (I'm about 5'8") steel mtb frame for my upcoming tour from the UK to Japan. I've been through several frames and had problems with all of them, so here i am 3 weeks before we're due to leave and have no fully functional frame, just a flat full of busted ones!

So, does anyone have something that might be suitable? Doesn't have to be pretty, but anything with half decent cromo would be great. Can be frame+fork or a full bike that I can strip down. I'm based in Brighton, but will be travelling to London tomorrow, and driving to Wiltshire on friday/saturday and can do reasonable detours anywhere on that route to collect. Then probably getting a train to Bristol and Swansea.

Cheers!
Chris

I still have this one. U brake (or Magura hydraulic rim brake) only on the rear side.

Attachments

• boulder 1990_1_LR.jpg
    boulder 1990_1_LR.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 295
Thanks WimVDD! I'm pretty set on using v-brakes unfortunately (partly because I've already bought them, partly because they're what i'm most familiar with maintaining)... Lovely bike though, would def be keen otherwise!

Hi Chris,

I've browsed the board for a while but never signed up. Then I saw your post and decided to jump in! Mainly because you are off to Japan, I've been many times and love it! But I've never ridden there and it would be an epic trip. So if I can help you out... I have a 17" '91 Kona Cinder Cone frame and P2 forks. Frame is double butted steel and in really great shape, no dents, just a few scrapes and a little chain suck. Obviously it is designed for canti's but there are adaptors available for that, or run a full length outer and a zip tie! Forks are a little rough cosmetically but sound enough. It's a great frame but just too small for me, and I have enough other projects at the moment.

If you are interested and you can get to Reading, then it's yours! I can get you some pictures tomorrow if you want. Let me know...

Cheers,

Murphy

Top of the line TREK 990, about 17", repainted black, True Temper OXIII made in USA, last of the proper steel Treks pictured here:

https://imgur.com/a/nC8XLAP

For V-brakes, 1 1/8 headtube, 27,2 mm sp., 28.6 mm top pull fd.,73 BB (seatpost, sp. clamp & new, light 110 mm square taper is included).

PM me if interested.
Cheers,
Endre

fearfactoryüberalles":mnkrez3h said:
Top of the line TREK 990, about 17", repainted black, True Temper OXIII made in USA, last of the proper steel Treks pictured here:

For V-brakes, 1 1/8 headtube, 27,2 mm sp., 28.6 mm top pull fd.,73 BB (seatpost, sp. clamp & new, light 110 mm square taper is included).

PM me if interested.
Cheers,
Endre

Hi Endre!

Def interested, sounds fab! Do you have forks for it? If not presumably it'd take pretty standard 390mm a-c rigid forks? And where are you based (for picking it up)? How much are you looking for it?

If you know the year that'd be handy so I can look up exact dimensions.

Thanks again,
Chris

ChrisFerg":3g0ide3j said:
fearfactoryüberalles":3g0ide3j said:

PM me if interested.
Cheers,
Endre

Hi Endre!

Def interested, sounds fab! Do you have forks for it? If not presumably it'd take pretty standard 390mm a-c rigid forks? And where are you based (for picking it up)? How much are you looking for it?

If you know the year that'd be handy so I can look up exact dimensions.

Thanks again,
Chris

Hi Chris,
yeah, I can include some black repainted (fitted once but only some storage scratches, pics: https://imgur.com/a/f1jcpQw ) cro-mo forks a-head version, with a nice long steerer, so you could make them still lighter if you want ;) .

110 GBP posted for these: frame/forks/BB/seatpost/seatclamp. (postage is 40 GBP alone, by tracked courier) about the money I spent on powdercoating alone :facepalm: :twisted:

I'm in Hungary but it can get to you in a week or even sooner.

Build year is 1996, 1995 modell was for canti brakes, but the 990 was deleted in '97 as I know, so we can safely say that's last of the breed :cool: !

PM me for more info please,
Cheers,
Endre

Re:

HI Chris,

I'm in London and I have a few steel framed bikes I'd sell. A 1992 Bridgestone MB-3, full Ritchey logic tubing, 19" (18" centre to centre). A 1992 Breezer Sky full Ritchey Logic tubing 18" (17" centre to centre). 1996 KHS Montana Team, amazing True Temper OX super light frame. Seatpost stuck but might be at the right height for you. I'm 5'9" and it's a little too low for me. I'm in Sydenham SE264QD

Hi all, just to say thanks to everyone for all the offers! I met mark today and relieved him of his lovely Bridgestone, which will hopefully do the job brilliantly. This community has definitely come to the rescue, I'm now beginning to feel very excited about our trip rather than just stressed about the prospect of having to walk the whole way!

Latest posts

Back