12 speed

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Any body crossed over to 12 speed? The cassettes look very big 10-45+ teething. Does this mean that 11 speed is dead for mtb?

I went from 8 speed, to 10, then 12, and also have a 10. I have the low gear set the same, but the 10 speed is 11- 46 compared to my 12 speed 10-50 and the high gears are noticeably absent. Also, noticeable jumps between a few gears on the 10 speed.

I dunno if 11 speed is any more dead than 8, 9 or 10 TBH. The complication being the new hub standards, although there are a few 12 speed cassettes that will fit an old hyperglide cassette.

the choice of cassette numbers is very limiting. I haven't ridden any over 30 teeth since 1990. The choice is very disappointing

Re:

Changed my 29er from SRAM 11 to 12 speed about a year ago. I didn't need the extra gear but I often make use of the extra 4 teeth at the rear as it will stave off the dreaded day of the ebike. BTW most of my 26ers are 10 speed with 11 46. Happy with all of them.

tintin40":132gquip said:
the choice of cassette numbers is very limiting. I haven't ridden any over 30 teeth since 1990. The choice is very disappointing

You still running front mech though?
MTB 12 speed is all range with a single chain ring. With 11 spd SRAM I needed a 30t ring to get a low enough gear for my lack of fitness. This compromised the top end on flatter trails. With 12 speed I’m running a 34, still a low enough bottom gear but with better top end. Standard 10-50 SRAM spacing is pretty spot on, no need for variation. Only big jump is the one up to the 50. Then again, it’s no worse than the drop to the granny ring on a triple.
12 speed road is coming in with a bigger choice of cassettes ratios, but because road and MTB spacing has been different since Shimano introduced 11 spd road, it won’t work with mtb mechs.

shedobits":132gquip said:
BTW most of my 26ers are 10 speed with 11 46. Happy with all of them.

With wheels size difference, 46t gives a slightly lower gear ratio than a 50t does on a 29er. Often forgotten point that the same gear ratios on a 29er give a 10% higher final drive over 26”.

Re:

I’m running 11 speed m9000 XTR with a one up 45T expander on my Evil and eagle x01/GX combo on my Kingdom and Shimano is a million times better. I’m waiting to buy XTR 9100 for when the world is back to normal and I can swap my Evil for a newer bike but I’m hoping it’s as good.

clubby":338j7egv said:
tintin40":338j7egv said:

You still running front mech though?
No. using 32 cr which means i spin out on the flat and decents. I like the look of SRAM electronic 12 speed. With the 10 tooth and a 36 cr and the 45+ tooth this would give back the speed on the flat. Plus i could cycle up Mt Everest :LOL: The price :shock:

tintin40":ajaw68dt said:
I like the look of SRAM electronic 12 speed. With the 10 tooth and a 36 cr and the 45+ tooth this would give back the speed on the flat. Plus i could cycle up Mt Everest :LOL: The price :shock:

But it’s so lovely. Especially with the matching reverb :)

clubby":1nmj9al6 said:
tintin40":1nmj9al6 said:
I like the look of SRAM electronic 12 speed. With the 10 tooth and a 36 cr and the 45+ tooth this would give back the speed on the flat. Plus i could cycle up Mt Everest :LOL: The price :shock:

But it’s so lovely. Especially with the matching reverb :)

I like this 'The AXS rear derailleur is the heart of the system and features an overload clutch to protect the derailleur from sudden impacts. It disengages the motor and allows the lower cage to move out of harms way before returning to the correct gear.

That is very clever.

tintin40":3n1m5rxl said:
clubby":3n1m5rxl said:
I like this 'The AXS rear derailleur is the heart of the system and features an overload clutch to protect the derailleur from sudden impacts. It disengages the motor and allows the lower cage to move out of harms way before returning to the correct gear.

That is very clever.

Seen the video of that feature online but hoping never to test it out myself. Always a risk having that amount of money sticking out sideways where you can't see it, but it's a pretty sturdy piece of kit. Seen pics of sound Canadian journalists test mech that is really battle scarred cosmetically but still working perfectly.

I softened cost by going for a NX ring and GX cassette. Ring is steel and weighs a ton but was only £12 and will outlast the bike. Cassette shifts the same as the expensive ones, just weighs more as the biggest cogs are still and the cassette is riveted together instead machined from one piece. Saving on those two items vs XO1 was £300, for no noticeable performance disadvantage, only weight.

Back