11 speed mtb road bike gear swap.

Re:

Thanks hamster, thats what i feared, i was hoping to go for the 2x11 mtb set up but even a long road cage wont handle that range of gears. bit pissed off with shimmano really but never mind. just got to sort out a 15mm bolt through conversion for the wheel and can try it out on 26x2.1 tyres.

It's really irritating for touring cyclists like me that you cannot mix and match (again).

In the CTC mag there was a dropper thingy that allows a road rear mech to clear bigger cassettes. Depending on the exact size of dinner plate sprocket you want...

You are right - I'd also heard it as a Lindarets - they seem to be the same thing.

One other solution ocurred to me: use a JTEK Shiftmate, which is a cunning pulley like a 'travel agent' to change the cable pull. SJS Cycles carry them.

Re:

How low do you want the cassette to go? 11spd road mechs will do a 32t cassette, which will give you a pretty low gear with a double or triple.

Yeah, road and MTB mechs have been different pull since ten speed. You can use a 10spd road lever with a 9spd MTB rear mech, which would let you go down to 36t on the cassette. However, you can't do anything like that with 11spd.

Back