1 inch to 1 1/8 frame adapters

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Came across this post a while back. Seems to promise the ability of using 1 1/8 forks on old 1 inch steerer tube frames.

No use to me as I no longer have any frames in that size, but thought it might be of use to others struggling to find decent forks for their old frames.

I'm no expert as you all well know by now 😉
But how do you get a 1.125" steerer in a 1" headtube!?! Or is that not what you are saying Ian, I'm leaving myself open to lots of abuse here aren't I!lol

Thats what the ad suggests. You can slot a 1 1/8 steerer into a 1inch head tube, not sure how much clearance there would be left for headset cups though.

30.2mm for inner headtube diameter (1")

28.6mm steerer. Diameter and crown rance 30.0 for 1 1/8

0.8mm either side of the tube.

So a 1/2 mm thick shim to sit cups or bearing in?

I see an amazing lack of detail and pictures

Yep, if you've ever used the 1/4 to 1/8 reducers, they're a bit flimsy to get out in one piece and are 1.5mm thick.

Dread to think what a 0.5mm bearing and headset holding one will be like.

I suppose it could cup over the tube, but it would certainly need to be custom made to fit.

I've often wondered about this, but never seen anything available. I have a MTB with a 44mm head tube and have had 1.5", tapered, and straight 1 1/8" forks on it over the years. But that's 44mm, so lots of room to play with.

Back