Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Anyone got a 1-1/8” steering tube die that I could buy or even rent?
Just don’t fancy paying Park tool prices!
909C83DC-0143-47F1-A144-0748DCCACE05.jpeg

Last edited:
Whilst I can't help you in supplying one, I'd say that if you just want this for one job then it's probably worth just getting it done at a bike shop.

Yes, buying these new is expensive but that is what good-quality engineering tools cost e.g. Park, VAR etc. There are cheaper options which will probably be fine for very occasional use but these will almost-certainly still be more expensive than paying a shop.

If someone is willing to lend theirs then that's great but it's still a bit of faff with postage, unless they live locally, obviously. Remember that a die-holder and handles are needed, too.

Good luck.

Sorry @The Bat for the laughing imoji but I’ve tried every bike shop in 30 mile radius, most just look a bit confused 😁
But I think my next best option is to send it off to the man who can AKA @danson67

A bit too old-skool for a lot of them now, I guess. Not much call for frame-prepping tools nowadays, a lot of the younger mechanics probably aren't even aware of them.

Plenty of shops must still have these tools as legacy kit from the old days but, in your case, I think that a 1 1/8" threaded steerer cutter will be less common because most steerers and headsets of that size were threadless. I'd bet you'd have found a 1" cutter fairly easily.

All the best.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back