Quite very early Klein frame

IPAlerider

Retro Newbie
My first attempt at posting, here goes...
I got my Klein directly from Gary while he was still making them at MIT.
That's '75-ish? (I always remembered it as '74, but written accounts don't seem to match). It is serial # R4. Was originally labelled "B-1 Road". Very tight crit frame, really. Before later upgrades by Gary, frame came std with modified Campy shift lever clamp. The original very dark blue color is seen on the original fork on right (needed rethread). Has external Campy style cable routing at b.b. Also std was boron fiber bonded to inner side of Columbus fork blades and outer side of chain stays. The recommended method for front mech install was to "gently massage" clamp & body, and use included extra long bolt. More neat stuff about it later, once I know I'm posting okay.
Cheers! -Michael

Attachments

• external routing.jpg
    external routing.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 832
  • early approach.jpg
    early approach.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 832
  • Klein frameset and orig fork.jpg
    Klein frameset and orig fork.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 832
Yes, I was in Boston area then, a teen in high school. I got around the greater metro area by bike, a risky endeavor there! My sole bike mishap with a car
provided a generous $350 insurance check. Soon after, a friend who had a small bike shop drove me to Gary's fab facility at MIT. I was pretty thrilled, meeting the man himself, and getting my Klein frame. But looking back, I wished I paid much more attention to that special visit. Somehow arranging an impromptu tour would have been so great.
As far as pics of it built, shamefully, none recent/digital! Ironically, I've lots of pics of a couple of my mtn bikes though, on high altitude rides, and snowy deep winter adventures (I really should post those-in the appropriate forum). I'll be getting motivated to make this right in time.

Back