Anyone recognise this Falcon?

non-fixie

Senior Retro Guru
I've recently acquired this chromed frame, after having wanted one for quite a while. I'm pretty sure it's a Falcon, but I haven't been able to identify the model so far. Perhaps you can help me. I suspect it may have been built by Falcon for another brand. Anyway, all help in identifying it is much appreciated.

The fork is probably a replacement. The serial number on the BB shell is 10014.

Grotefoto-8TOEZLAR.jpg

It takes a 26.2 seat post, and there's some blue paint inside the seat tube:

Grotefoto-4NXOCAGP.jpg

Grotefoto-UEBIL73C.jpg

Grotefoto-IXLJCZ3L.jpg

The holes for the head badge are 57 mms apart:

Grotefoto-JLJMUOZV.jpg

Stop for the shifter band:

Grotefoto-7DLIYBJC.jpg

Grotefoto-M4WMIBWF.jpg

Grotefoto-NOKFFVVZ.jpg

Grotefoto-E7XPGNQY.jpg

Grotefoto-MBV7FKKO.jpg

Geometry:

Grotefoto-6HQITV8H.jpg

I've posted this on bikeforums C&V as well, and here's what the crowd there had to say about it:

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... e.html#top

Hi. I am on the tablet so pics a bit flakey but that looks like a Carlton to me. Google Carlton flyer lugs and see if any of the 70's lugs match. Shaun

Now back on the PC.....

Looks like a Carlton Flyer as the lugs are quite distinctive. (apologies to Spokesmann for nicking his pic). The forks are later and generic... ?

P7200285.jpg

Shaun

Midlife":votujzsr said:
Hi. I am on the tablet so pics a bit flakey but that looks like a Carlton to me. Google Carlton flyer lugs and see if any of the 70's lugs match. Shaun

Thanks, Shaun! I did some googling (some of those older Flyers are really gorgeous!), and some late sixties/early seventies models use the same lugs, or something that is a very close match, but there are differences as well. The wrap-over seat stays are much nicer on those Flyers and, more importantly: the holes on my head tube don't match with the Carlton badge (whereas they do match with Falcon).

BTW, I came across your Carlton 'Fixie' as well. Did you get it finished yet?

Edit: just saw your second post. Those lugs are a close match indeed. And yes, I'm sure my fork is (forks are? - dang, I'll never really get the hang of this language) a generic replacement.

It might have left the factory as a Sun...... for a few years in the late 60's and early 70's Carlton sort of lost the plot about what they were doing and gave up any semblance of order in their frame numbering and what they made. The frame number there is typical of that Carlton Period...

I have a Falcon San Remo and sold Falcon's in the 70's and that is not like any Falcon I have ever seen.

a4bzt3.jpg

My Carlton Flyer is half stripped at the moment, just wondering what to do with it............

Shaun

PS Have you ever been to Nijmegan?

Thanks for the info on Sun. I'd never heard of the brand before. Interesting, and the head badge holes look closer to mine than the Carlton's. Some of them also have the top tube pump pegs. I'll be googling some more to see if I can find one with matching lugs and wrap-over seat stays.

I really dig those fifties' multi-coloured club racers. It's certainly an option for my build.

Yes, I've been to Nijmegen. It's kinda hard to miss in a small country like ours. :)

Hi

You might not find another one like it on Google, you used to be able to customise frames that were in the brochure so they were not all the same when they left the Factory.

I've got two carlton frames in the office at the moment, under the desk is a 1980's Carlton Pro and in a box there is an all chrome Carlton Frame. I bought it off ebay from a shocking picture thinking it was a Carlton Cobra which it isn't ! Not sure what it is apart from being a Carlton as it has italian style lugs but the wrong stays for the era. Thats the thing about old frames...........they don't follow the rules.

However, you have a mighty fine Worksop all chrome frame :)

Shaun

PS I spent quite a bit of time in the Netehrlands 20 years ago in Nijmegan and ACTA, no prizes for guessing what I do for a living LOL

I'm not so sure about the Worksop bit. I have quite a few Worksop bikes, and the finish on those bikes is a lot better than what is to be seen on this frame. Falcon, OTOH, had a reputation for sloppy work.

Which doesn't mean I don't like it. I really do, and as I'm curious as to how it rides, I'll start building it up as soon as I know to what. I'm in two minds: either a clubman style bike (three speed SA comes to mind) or a french Singer/Herse type randonneuse/sportif. I'll see what the parts bin yields and probably let that decide.

ACTA, isn't that where the phrase 'bike rack' gets a whole new meaning?

Back