Zaskar Carbon, plus some backstory..

IWish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hey guys and girls.

I've not been about much recently, been popping by occasionally, keeping up with what's about and what's going on. I've had an interesting time of it shall we say.

That's not why I'm here though posting this.. I've come too tell you guys a little bit of a story about me and my journey into this bike.

It all started when I was 14, I'd discovered my dads old bikes in my Garage. There was a Yellow Peugeot road bike (I've still not defined the model..) and a 1994 Aqua GT Zaskar LE. These were what really enlightened me into the world of cycling and retrobikes in particular. I used them both very regularly, daily even most days dependent upon the purpose I had for it at the time. I used too ride the Zaskar too School and on my paper route and go riding around my hometown on the Peugeot just for fun. No company just me and some music in my earphones. This mightn't sound too special too you lot but it was too me.

I have every component for the Zaskar and Peugeot in the garage still. The Zaskar was stripped down as I was going too re-build it with a full M900 groupset but I crashed it and dented the top tube. Hence it has been retired indefinitely (I'm hoping too replace it so I can get back the feeling of closeness with my old man). If anyone has a 1994 Aqua Zaskar LE in 18" for sale please let me know. I've been searching whenever I've had the spare money.

After that I started too look into other bikes, I've had a M900 Yo Eddy, 3 other Zaskars since then. 2 BB and one Anodized Red. 2 Ti 456s. A C456. Santa Cruz V10, a modern alloy Stumpjumper and a retro Steel, Proflex 857 and more.. Not too shabby for 22.. (If you think that's expensive ask me about my cars.. :oops: )

But this, for me is the ideal tribute if you like too my dad, the modern take on the bike that I know was always his pride and joy..

My Zaskar Carbon, yes it may not be the most ideally specced bike ever.. I'd love too change a few things but then who doesn't want too do that.

My spec is roughly as follows..

Zaskar Carbon frame Size L
Rockshox Reba SL forks (I'd like too change for Fox)
Cane Creek headset
XT Cranks (XTR or XO or similar change..)
1x9 setup including XO custom super short cage 20th anniversary RD, KMC X9SL, XO triggershifter, XO casette, Blackspire chainring
Hope Moto V2 brakes 160mm discsF&R
Hope Pro2 Evo hubs
HED Ringle CARBON DH rims
DT Spokes (I believe this too be a one of a kind wheelset..)
Crank Bros Stem (Needs too be swapped for Syncros or similar..)
Easton EA30 bars (Swap too Carbon..)
Fizik seat (Flite Ti please..)
Ritchey post
Race King 2.2 tyres on at the minute, High Roller 2 and Bontrager for muddy days

Pics at the minute won't send too my laptop so I'll upload those later.. Along with pics of my other bikes I've had and there specs too the best of my memory...

All I need too get everything I've been looking for with my Zaskar set now is another Aqua ANO frame from 1994 and a re-issue size medium.. If anyone has either of those for sale please let me know.. Or any other Zaskar frames.. I'd love too one day own one in every colour available, but for the Aqua when I eventually get another I have a Carbon GT prototype part that iirc from previous conversations with GM and other members has never been seen before and wasn't meant too be released too the public from the 90s..

Cheers for taking the time too read this if you do. I'll update the title when I add pictures.

Re:

Awaiting pics.
Thanks for sharing your story and introduction to retro bikes.
I like your zaskar tribute build idea.

Kyle

Back