Yeti FRO 1988 20" - Sold

cmscycle

Dirt Disciple
Hi my name is Craig from New Zealand. I've been following RetroBike for many years but only just joined. Two years ago I bought a 1988 Yeti FRO 20". I've ridden it about 10 times and it's awesome but I need to let it go to another home to use the money for other things. It's been through a basic restoration with the previous owner and my goal was to bring it back to original condition which wouldn't be too hard. I've just posted one photo for now to see if anyone is keen on the bike and can supply more pics as required.

Here is some info about the frame/fork/stem
-1988 Yeti FRO 20" catalogue spec size (centre of bb to top of top tube)
-Made in California factory
-Serial Number 482 (making it the 182nd production FRO made? I've read the numbers started at 300)
-Simplex dropouts
-1" BMX headset
-Double down tube bottle bosses
-FTW made fork (has campy dropouts, original spec saw-cut end caps with welded up vent holes in the end caps)
-Factory reamed fork to 22.2mm internal size (I believe a small number of frames
had this in late 1988 as they transitioned from 21.1mm Cook Brothers stems)
-I'm sure the stem is a factory made Yeti stem. The top cap and welded cable guide seem to fit any descriptions I've seen & read

Here is some info about the parts:
-Shimano 21 Speed M732 XT groupset (inc. hubs)
-I have the matching XT M732 pedals also
-Araya RM20 rims
-I suspect the handlebar is a cromoly True Temper model that would have been factory stock at the time
-Selle Italia Turbo suede off-white (this is NOS, ridden about 10 times)
-New BMX headset (generic brand)
-Kalloy seatpost (I think it's 26.8mm but will need to check this to be sure)
-The chain and cassette are not original (not M732 - HG50)
-The cantilevers have good condition (suspect NOS) XT pads
-Tires are not original
-Cables are new Shimano (so not the original 6mm housing, 2mm inner)
-Grips are new ODI Tomac Mushroom (I also have new flanged ATI grips)
-Most of the Yeti oversized cable housing end caps were damaged due to a previous
owner running the housing too short. I could arrange for any potential buyer to have some replicas made (for an extra cost)
-While the groupset is almost period, well 1989 for a frame that as best I know was made late 1988, the groupset is not original to the bike

Here is some info about the condition:
-The spokes are stainless but due to time (and weather) have rusted slightly
-The groupset is all in good running order and for it's age in very good condition, as the cassette and chain had been replaced in time, the chainrings (Biopace) are in good condition
-The frame has had the typical drive side chain stay yoke gusset added. I don't know when this was done
-It has cracked, and been repaired, at the seat tube clamp slot. The weld has been polished back and with matching touch up paint will be unnoticeable
-There is a rust pin-hole about 150mm up from the BB on the underside of the down tube. If keeping the bike I was intending to silver braze this up at some stage.
-At some point in its life the bike has been left outside and the top of the down tube, top of the top tube, and top of the stem have surface rust pitting along their length. My intention if restoring the frame was to strip it back, fill smooth the pitting with automotive filler then get it repainted
-Note, the current paint is not original

I hope this advert text is not too long, sorry if I've broken any forum etiquette.

As for the price, I paid $1000 NZD for the bike (approx $700 USD at current exchange rates) and would be keen to get my money back, so that's what I'm asking.

For another $80 I have some used Shimano M732 spare parts which are not
necessary now but if the bike was to be ridden a lot, may be handy for
maintenance. These are a cup&cone BB, cantilever brake set, thumb shifters,
and a rear derailleur.

I'm located in Christchurch, New Zealand. If you are interested in the bike please ask and I can look into freight rates for you.

Thanks very much!

Best Regards
Craig Sharratt

Attachments

• Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 953
  • Front View.jpg
    Front View.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 954
  • Fork Tip.jpg
    Fork Tip.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 953
  • Handlebar.jpg
    Handlebar.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 953
  • Stem.jpg
    Stem.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 952
  • Chainstays.jpg
    Chainstays.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 952
  • Crankset.jpg
    Crankset.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 952
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 953
Re: Yeti FRO 1988 Complete Bike For Sale

This will be a great project - for somebody. Looks´s bigger than 19" because of the long head tube...

GLWS
IHateRain

Re: Size

Hi "IHateRain"

Yes thanks I just double checked now and it seems the Yeti sizing from this era is from centre of BB to top of top tube and this is 20" exactly on this bike. One thing that makes the Yeti's seem much bigger though (and therefore longer in the headtube) is the 12" high BB as opposed to of course more common 11.5-11.75" and the slope of the TT. This bike has a 4.5cm slope on the TT. If it was horizontal like a Ritchey of the same year with a 11.5" BB height then the head tube would be quite a lot shorter. Sorry I'm not suggesting that you don't know that, more just providing commentary for anyone who might be interested.

:LOL: It´s ok, Craig. Though it needs serious tlc I think this won´t be up for sale long; to rare because of the drop out´s, BMX measurement´s, top tube...

Cheers
IHateRain

To anyone interested, I will post more photos later today.

Attachments

• Front View.jpg
    Front View.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 951
  • Seat Slot.jpg
    Seat Slot.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 951
  • Front Brakes.jpg
    Front Brakes.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 951
  • Downtube.jpg
    Downtube.jpg