Yeti build thread. Not in the wrong section.

Awesome skills! :cool:😍 I think @boy"O"boy would appreciate this thread being a model maker. I was a model maker many moons ago so 100% appreciate the skills and patience required.

you could just 3d print you know? :p

nice work, looking forward to seeing the rest.
3D printing is cheating.
I see it as a bit like printing a picture and thinking you've painted it.
That said there is one bit that I ended up 3D printing because it was going to be too expensive to make "properly".

This is going to be awesome...
Thanks Yakboy.
I'm normally my own worst critic, but this one is something that I am actually really proud of the result.
Your signature "you're not making this easy for yourself are you???" could not be more appropriate.

Awesome skills! :cool:😍 I think @boy"O"boy would appreciate this thread being a model maker. I was a model maker many moons ago so 100% appreciate the skills and patience required.
Thanks. Always nice to get praise from someone who understands the work. What sort of model making did you do? I've been Architectural for the last eight or nine years. Did freelance stuff before that for about ten, mainly museum and telly stuff.
A couple of years ago we got the gig to build a model of the world's tallest and most slidey waterslide. Got a free trip out to Doha to set it up which was NUTS.
Plenty of 3D printing in that one...
P1140172.JPG

Frame (1).jpg
Frame built out of layers of laser cut styrene. Styrene is a bit softer than Acrylic so will sand back a bit nicer once the whole thing is slicked over with filler.

Frame (4).JPG
Fill, sand, repeat. Rear triangle was built out of styrene bent around various jigs and forms. The jig to line up all of the pivots and axles was a project in itself...
Rear triangle jig.jpg
Jig for rear triangle pivot alignment and spacing. crescent shaped bit in the middle is for tyre clearance.
Frame (2).JPG
Head tube turned out of chemiwood and slotted to fit on styrene tab.

Last edited:
Frame (3).JPG
Fill, sand, repeat.
Frame (7).JPG
Switch pivot and dogbone. Laser cut acrylic layers again. 14 bits of it in the linkage alone.
Frame (5).JPG
Frame (6).JPG
Full travel.
I'd already made a cassette, but at this point realised that I was going to have to make a better one. The project sort of turned a corner here in terms of my own expectations.

Back