yeah whatever!

lumos2000":1fp3b0q6 said:
sposed to be bad luck to rename a boat :?
The origins of that were absolutely sensible. When boats were made of wood, a carpenter would have to carve the old name out of the transom and carve a new one in, thus making the boat much weaker structurally.
I'm not too worried about mine, but it does need to come out of the water within the next couple of months for reblacking and overplating. :evil:

Chris667
If youre overplating and blackening, then theres no wooden hull on your boat is there?:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ,You can change your boats name with a sample pot of B&Q gloss ;)
What do you have?N/boat ,barge or......?
I'd love a small houseboat project somewhere like Holland ;)
------------------------------------------
Heres a similar pic to my mate Tony's boat ,the're both square rigged pilot cutters about 45' long or 55' if you include the bowsprit
We took it down to Falmouth with him several years ago
:cool: Cool boat, it was about 90 yrs old weighed about 15 tons,the boom looked like a telegraph pole :shock: imagine getting 'boomed' with that
Beautiful inside, all mahogany fittings at least 100 years old
Cant stand those plastic smelly boats :x
No character
Wood is Good :D
But Bloody hardwork :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• Hirta at speed (Large).JPG
    Hirta at speed (Large).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,008
I live on a narrowboat. All steel, 32ft, 20hp, 12 tons! I crush all wooden boats in my path. :twisted:
Wood is lovely, but very hard work, especially on the inland waterways. Such hard, dirty work every winter! I know of someone that's almost giving away a 70ft wooden narrowboat, if you are mental enough to want to take on such a project.
B&Q Gloss is fine, but it makes me laugh that the side of their tins of yacht varnish clearly say "Not for marine use". :p

ReTroBOAT :?
I like the cut of your jib :D

Do us a pic then Chris.
Or pics rather, 10 will do, to give us all a sense of your watery world :D
and some surrounding land shots
I hope to be looking for a nice WOODEN 30 fter over in somewhere like Holland,where i can use my vast carpentry skills :LOL: to renovate it as a holiday home.
When i can afford it ,that is :roll:
Nothing like sleeping on a boat[on water that is]the water just rocks you gently to sleep.

Do you have the standard cast iron wood burner on board? :cool:
cheers
-------------------------------------------
Christ :shock: says Chris667,I'll have to tidy up now ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Hmm. Had a look at my photobucket account, and the only photo is just this one of my stove. It does all of my heating and about 85% of my cooking from September-April. Here I'm using it to make tea and porridge. After buying several off the peg stoves, this was made by a bloke that lives in a lorry in Devon.
IMG_0335.jpg

Romance aside, wooden boats are only nice if you pay someone else to work on them.
This is a picture out of my window. The boat belongs to my mate, Dave. It's up for sale if you know anyone that wants one ;)
DSCN0228.jpg

My mate Nelson was looking for a n/boat[good name for a boaty type :LOL: ]
I dont think he can afford such a beauty though ,plus the cost to get it onto the Scottish waterways can really add up
We lose a couple of narrow boaters every year who think cos its a boat you can take it out to sea :shock: :LOL:
How much was he wanting for it?[not that we can afford,just a general enquiry]

Back