XTR octalink compatibility

Re: Re:

cce":1qmuswpk said:
66 triumph daytona":1qmuswpk said:
So all road bbs are Italian thread?Thats a serious bummer,is the only option is the real Mcoy :?

No, not all road BBs are italian thread, there are 68mm british thread ones, but not 73mm british thread ones

you can still get brand new 105 ones (which is LX level) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... rp-prod906
Top man-that English thread one would suit.

Ooh, I remember this one from BITD.
Shimano rolled out Octalink as their flagship BB for road bits to begin with as V1 before implementing it as an MTB component starting with XTR. Alsmost as soon as they did this (for XTR) they revised Octolink as V2 across the board, thus, V1 only works with XTR and road bits and any other MTB bits work with V2. Mixing and matching is ill advised due to the depth of the splines (which was the purpose of V2) which would lead to alloy mashing - ugly.

I've just read a few posts (should have done this first) and should probably advise people that axle length and threading (English/Italian) is irrelevant. The difference between V1 & V2 is purely to do with the depth of the splines that join the crank to the BB.

I have a lurvly set of blackspire cranks for octalink, how the hell do I know if I need V1 or V2???
An lx one sold on ebay t'other day, if'd I'd known they were rocking horse poo I would have increased my highest bid...

There's a good chance, in fact an almost dead certainty that if they are MTB cranks they'll be V2, Road will be V1.

The only exception to this is the 950/1/2 XTR cranks.

Back