XT M737 hubs- possible to anodise?

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I’m going to be building a NOS wheelset shortly and one thing I’m fancying doing is anodising the M737 hubs.

I’m assuming that they can be stripped down to simply just a shell?
Anywhere that sells the decals ? Or is it a case of trying to remove and replace the OE ones.

Its aluminium - of course you can anodize them! HOWEVER: I have a good friend who works in an anodizing company here in Germany. He taught me so much about aluminium and anodizing. Results can vary so much. Depending on material specs. You simply have to "test" it. How good the M737 take the black coloring. Theyre not that expensive and their availability is more than good on the market. Cheapo! So, just go ahead and see how they turn out. I am very sure, that eBay, Gil at retrodecals etc. have the stickers to bring them back to life.

I understand they are aluminium , but sometimes items have parts which can’t be stripped all the way down.

They would be going purple or blue.

Oh yeah. I forgot to say that EVERY single part that is non aluminium has to be removed. I thought that was understood.

By the way: Are they pressed in and can never be put back in once removed or what is the problem here, fluffy?

Cheers

No idea, never taken them (the cup race) out, or should I say I don't remember doing it.

I assume pressed in, but no doubt removing them damages or cracks them and damaged the seating they where in.
I don't think they would bond them, anyone done it?

I know people replaced the older style ones before.

Tap them from behind or maybe try pull it out.
Find a knackered cone one and try it.

So, its all just one big mystery assumption? 🙃

I am always that person: If it got in there, I can get it out. And its not unlikely that they will go in just fine again!

From a production point of view, on a bicycle hub it makes no sense constructing them the way that parts go in and never can be taken out or replaced for maintainance etc.

Back