Would you be a MTBer now?

If the 14 yr old me saw was today was like.. my god .. I would have exploded with excitement!
Was saying this to a mate the other day, the modern bikes are like spaceships compared to our old Raleigh Bombers and Burners. Didn't stop us riding round the woods jumping bombholes and ctashing into trees mind.

Me i don’t think I would be a cyclist now. but do love watching the modern day top level mountain bike racing ..I’ll keep to the older pre 2000 bikes

One thing the modern mtb has given (some of) us is things like those bonkers Red Bull jump events, out in places that look like Tatooine. Hoooge drop offs and jumps with acrobatics and I admire the bravery and skill involved. The modern xc bike also allows for a more challenging terrain compared to the old days. I went to some world cups back in the late 90's and the xc and downhill courses were fast but not as tough as they are now.

My first real bike was a Schwinn Moab Elite w/grip shifters and Rochsox. I saved and paid $500.00 for it. Moved to Canada and had to sell it. Replaced it with a 2000 Norco Wolverine when I got married up and moved to Canada. My wife got a Norco Kokanee, same day. We still have both bikes.

I wish I still had the Schwinn. I blew out the brakes stump jumping in the bush, on the Kansas River, outside Lawrence. Luckily the guys I was with had tools!

Modern bikes don't' appeal to me. I'd never do the types of drops my son does. I have this sentimental side of me, whether it be cars, guitars, or bikes, that keeps me "back in time". I don't mind it a bit! But I am amazed we road these old MTBs on some pretty challenging terrain - w/o FS! I know I did. Back as a kid in New York, we were true clunkers!

I was a teenager when I got my first MTB. Would I get one if I was young now? Of course I bloody would, there are loads of ace trails all set up for blasting around with loads of 'best bits' concentrated in the same place. I'd have loved it!

Lot's of bah humbug around IMO. there are loads of dream bikes for kids to dream about, plenty of hugely capable bikes that are cheaper than the ones we bought. plenty of variation depending what you want and places like Bike Park Wales would argue that it's a sport for 40 somethings these days.

I love retro bikes but these days the options are huge. You can even buy a retro style bike and go off and potter if you want? We have slightly rose tinted specs too as the 'really' interesting development of our sport was pretty much done by 1993 and the trend by then was for just as sober colour schemes as today.

100%! I loved it in 1990 when I started riding and racing mountain bikes and I still love it! My eldest son is the same age (15) now as I was when I got into mountain biking and there are definitely 'dream bikes' for the younger generation to lust after!

I raced in a couple of mountain bike races as a teenager BITD and loved it but through my 20's and 30's I didn't really do much cycling other than a bit on the road. For my 40th I got a Boardman Pro 29er. It's nearly 10 years old now but it's still an absolutely cracking bike and stops when I want it to stop and goes in the direction that I point it in, unlike my retro mtbs!! It may not have the nostalgia but it is much better in every way as a bike!

I went to the Malverns in 90 and 91 to spectate and always wished that I'd raced there. It was during lockdown in late 20/ early 21 when I discovered there was a retro race at the 2021 Malverns... so I entered it and loved it! It was my first mtb race in 30 years and also happened to be the first xc race that my boys raced in. I'm still gutted that the cross country racing has been dropped at the Malverns but it was a great day!

Fast forward two years and myself and my sons are all regularly racing XC and loving it! They ride their modern bikes and although most of my riding is on my 29er, this year I've decided to race a retro bike whenever I race and rode my 89/90 Clockwork at the Welsh Championship round at the Forest of Dean at the weekend in the fun race :)

Most of the modern mtb scene doesn't really interest me but the XC races are thriving and they are just as much fun as they always were! Especially at the Cannock Chase Classic events which are run several times a year where they run a retro race category!

Anyway, this is my first post on here and it's a bit of a ramble but basically yes, I'd still want to be involved in mountain biking!

I was 12 in 88, my dad's friend had a Muddy Fox. I lived on my bike at that age and I was obsessed. Bought MBUK from issue 3, Saracen in 94, KHS in 93, Kona in 96. lost my job in 2000 and stopped MTB'ing.

If it was 12 year old me today I think I'd like gravel and I think id like retro MTB's. I never had much money, never drove, never went to uni. I was "the bike guy" who cycled 15 miles each way to work and back on my MTB, always tanned and lean... In some ways at 47 I'm similar today.

The one thing today is a cheap MTB looks cheap. Back then they all looked cool (or was it me). I remember spending ÂŁ1500 on my Kona in 96 and still lusting over some entry level bikes. Can't see me lusting over entry level bikes today.

Back