Would it be wrong.........

I've done it on my Ti hardtail as well, in the interest of he ride I've mixed a frame from 92 with components 97-98 and modern forks/wheels. Very happy with result, both visual and ..... the RIDE ;)

Enjoy!!

gratuitous pic:
TiTaTov2_001s.JPG

Mix of old and new, but soon to have risers as well (better for me poor old back :D )

Attachments

• Merlin 001.JPG
    Merlin 001.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 1,056
Light but could be lighter

Well looking to buy another road frame at the mo but if falls through ....

Mmmmm air shock, carbon bar stem and seat post and lighter wheels

Let the stoning begin !!!!
main.php

It is soooooooooo right, the art of the builder to get stuff from all periods to work together, picking out modern stuff with a retro feel, old stuff that works and creating something really individual.

If you are going rigid then a retro frame makes sense- rigid forks on a bike designed for suspension look so bloody daft!

IBOC that bike is too cool- minimalist understated yummy

If I was building a "garage queen," then I would go with the components from that era.

But personally, I dislike garage queens. What a sad way for a bike (or car) to slowly rot and die.

If you're actually going to ride, race, and have fun with your bike, then upgrade to the better components. The grouppos today are far more superior. Your bike with thank you for the upgrades.

It's your bike - do what YOU want. Not what others tell you what looks good in their eyes.

On another note, I think most people build their bikes based on flashy colors and looks. They don't realize that some of the parts they chose are junk, they break, or don't work well, especially in a real bike race. Those are the bling-bling people you see on the side of the road/trails always fixing or adjusting their bikes (gears don't shift right, brakes don't work well, chain-stuck, etc. etc.).

Back