Would it be sexist to start an all-male bike club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just that,

Would it be considered sexist to start an all-male bike club today?🤔

Easy enough to make it deeply unappealing to most women without being explicit. My regular mountain bike group is composed almost exclusively of middle aged blokes due to it's surface appearance of being quite laddish, and the whatsapp discussions being even more so. Most of us are welcoming to the occasional woman who does turn up though. I think it's a shame though as woman are great - and there's nothing better than seeing some guy patronise a lass, only to have his ass handed to him on a descent.

IME, it's likely you'd have work hard to attract women to any cycling group due to the above attitudes though.

Mate I honestly don't understand why you feel so victimised by everything. Must be horrible to have to scour the barrel for something to get pissed about. Nobody minds if you start an all male cycling club. Call it the Bevvy Boys.

This is the same as yesterday, in the thread that got locked, nobody was targeting you as the person who should be responsible for black people being represented more in elite cycling. It is about time folks stop assuming that critiques of systemic misogyny and racism is something that is directed at you just because you're white and male (I assume, apologies if not). Such critiques have been directed at almost all sports, it is nothing unique to cycling. And it's made professional sports more inclusive, what's not to like? More people get to live out their dreams.

Most of the talks about cycling clubs and sexism is because it is very ingrained in cycling culture and there has been examples of many very influential cycling associations not allowing women to be involved historically.

Mate I honestly don't understand why you feel so victimised by everything. Must be horrible to have to scour the barrel for something to get pissed about. Nobody minds if you start an all male cycling club. Call it the Bevvy Boys.

This is the same as yesterday, in the thread that got locked, nobody was targeting you as the person who should be responsible for black people being represented more in elite cycling. It is about time folks stop assuming that critiques of systemic misogyny and racism is something that is directed at you just because you're white and male (I assume, apologies if not). Such critiques have been directed at almost all sports, it is nothing unique to cycling. And it's made professional sports more inclusive, what's not to like? More people get to live out their dreams.

Most of the talks about cycling clubs and sexism is because it is very ingrained in cycling culture and there has been examples of many very influential cycling associations not allowing women to be involved historically.
That says it all, much better than I could.

I’m aware that all women groups exist , purely so they can feel at ease and if that gets more women cycling then it’s great.

By excluding any group of people you are simply compounding in their mind that it’s a male dominated sport which is not good.

By the time my 9 month old daughter gets to the age where hopefully she cycles for fun I hope we are at a stage where more women do it and I’ll actively encourage it.

Following on from yesterdays thread which was locked I can see where you would like this to go. Personally I don’t care what gender or race someone is if they want to ride their bike with me but clearly you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back