Wot happened to fat bikes

This one is made by a Giant subsidiary, Northrock XCF. In the summer, they're on sale for like $350 bucks.in summer, I tell myself I don't need a fat bike. Now that it's winter, they're $700 again. Still a good price, but I can remember summer
View attachment 801976
They'll drop

If they were a fad and now they are not, anyone got a dirt cheap one they bought and now want rid of? Thinking mongoose or something. 🤪
here you go

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
My oh my ....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Definitely used to see more of them at trail centres than you do now.

Guess when they started getting popular 2.4” was considered to be the wider end of ‘normal’, now 2.6-2.8” seems pretty commonplace so there’s less of a contrast between normal and fat bikes so it’s harder to justify a whole other bike for a little over an inch more tyre.

If they were a fad and now they are not, anyone got a dirt cheap one they bought and now want rid of? Thinking mongoose or something. 🤪
I can't help with the bike but if you get a cheap one and decide you need a tyre upgrade then let me know. I have 8 spares, all good quality, some new. ( Surly, 45Nrth, Schwalbe).
There are lots of bikes on eBay and some are good quality at low prices but are often collect only which can limit things a bit.
Good luck ☺

Definitely used to see more of them at trail centres than you do now.

Guess when they started getting popular 2.4” was considered to be the wider end of ‘normal’, now 2.6-2.8” seems pretty commonplace so there’s less of a contrast between normal and fat bikes so it’s harder to justify a whole other bike for a little over an inch more tyre.
Err, 2.6/2.8 to 4.6/4.8 is I think a whole 2" , and you can go 5+.......

I have a 2.6 rear/2.8 front 29er wheel set that I use occasionally and I can tell you the difference is massive.
If you only ride trail centres then fat doesn't much make sense but can still be fun. Go trad off road, snow, sand and it does.
I have four fatties and one gravel, and for me it makes perfect sense. It won't make any sense for some other riders.........

Olsen is a small independent fabricator darn sarf, he makes some very very very nice bikes. some are very niche, but they are all stunning.
Brighton is my old stamping ground...and that's where I had my first Cannondale and Marins. And Oranges.
Now, it's full of interesting people Morvelo, Albion, Olsen (well Lewes), Kinesis (well...Worthing)...and some of the finest riding in England...

Last edited:
The last couple of days has been quite snowy here.

Lots of snow lying, which is good fun for the dog and our playing in the fields but can be a pain getting into work in the morning. Usually once out our quiet road and up to the main road into Thurso it is plowed and gritted. Last night we had a lot of snow come down and we also started getting 30 to 40 mph winds drifting it across the roads. Our small road being one that doesn't get gritted or plowed meant that it was soon built up in waves a couple of feet high.

I had the work van home with me the night before and there was no way it was getting up the road as the 4X4 of the farmers only made it half way. I then decided that I would commute in on the Pugsley, or at least give it a half hearted try, might not get into work but at least I would get a ride in the snow :)

Our road was pretty deep and on the main road there was a good three inches of snow blowing around hiding the ruts underneath. I tried a couple of the back roads to stay off the main road and out of the way of what minimal traffic there was, but these were just a couple of tyre tracks in the snow for the most part.

So I didn't succeed in getting into work, not quite what I would class as a failure, but I did get a good ride and solid workout in, as well as spent quality time with Pugsley. So a pretty good day I think.

Later on one of the locals came with a teleporter and bucket and scooped the road clear but the wind and snow was coming in so fast within half an hour it looked like he had never been done. So may not be able to get in tomorrow unless something else happens overnight.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Looking back down my road to the home

Half an hour after it was plowed

Back