Worlds clothing, bad etiquette ?

Bernard Hinault wears the yellow jersey in 1985: 'When I see pot-bellied cyclists wearing the maillot jaune, it appals me.

I guess he means this sort of thing :LOL: :LOL:
fat-cyclist-in-lycra.jpg

47p2":k30ysy54 said:
Bernard Hinault wears the yellow jersey in 1985: 'When I see pot-bellied cyclists wearing the maillot jaune, it appals me.

fat-cyclist-in-lycra.jpg

I think he may well have been connected with the Lampre team. I'm sure I saw him (or someone extremely like him) at the start of a stage last year wearing another team's colours.

Not a good look for Lampre then Old Ned, maybe someone should have a quiet word with him

without meaning to be rude to that chap, i think that picture has gone viral several times because it's such a bad fit! :shock:

I'm a bit on the fence with this. BITD I never heard (remembered at least) it talked about, and wasn't it a simple matter you couldn't actually buy a TdF, National Jersey or WC jersey anyway at the LBS? Probably was some unwritten etiquette which I can well appreciate. If we draw a parallel to another sport it would be like going around with say an Olympic Gold medal around the neck - sort of bragging "look at me" but didn't actually earn it. Comes across of being a bit of knob in my eyes.

As a teenager I do remember the nonsense of not being able to do a local evening 10m TT in a team top. Being all grown up now I just think all team tops are frankly hideous and garish and don't get why you would pay for them to advertise some tat FOC. Each to there own though.

That being said, for some utterly bizarre reason though I've got a pair of shorts with the name of a Belgium wood merchant / staircase / ceiling supplier (http://www.houthandelmalfroy.be/) plastered across the side panels. Probably no-one outside of the 10 Km radius of the shop knows this brand. This invariably makes me very cool and hip because it's very obscure and rare, but you can identify it with Belgium and thus the Spring classics or grueling CX in snow and mud . They simply ooze the impression I'm a bit of a hardman and have access to illusive and exclusive kit out of reach for mere mortals and professionals. Rapha eat your heart out.

When it comes down to bike bits, I am a bit of a sucker for things with the WC rainbow on them though since it's a traditional sign of quality earned in the highest level of competition.

Old Ned":37zm75ii said:
47p2":37zm75ii said:

fat-cyclist-in-lycra.jpg

I think he may well have been connected with the Lampre team. I'm sure I saw him (or someone extremely like him) at the start of a stage last year wearing another team's colours.

I'd be surprised if he was involved with a team . If he was handing out musettes , he wouldn't wear the shorts , he doesn't look like a masseur , as they normally do the above as well . And i can't imagine him driving a team bus , why would you wear that if this was the case ?
Maybe just a fan of Petacchi . May have this wrong as I'm not sure of vintage of the kit . Other than Fondriest can breathe a sigh of relief ! :LOL:

The banning of team kit etc in TT's wasn't silly. The rules were no sponsorship or advertising so you were not allowed to wear it. Not silly. The rules.

Seem to recall before my time that in competitions frames could not have the makers name on them hence the Vibrant rear end and the diadrant forks to make them stand out................. Old wives tale maybe?

Shaun

PS I did have rainbow stripes on the top of my socks in the 70's

Midlife":2nxu5pcd said:
Seem to recall before my time that in competitions frames could not have the makers name on them hence the Vibrant rear end and the diadrant forks to make them stand out................. Old wives tale maybe?

Shaun

PS I did have rainbow stripes on the top of my socks in the 70's

Quite true.

Back