World Championhips won by GT Zaskar?

Nicolas Vouilloz in the 1995 Mens Downhill at Kirchzarten, Germany. He switched to a Zaskar just before the start of the race due to the muddy conditions allowing him to pedal more than on the LTS's he and Mike King had been running. King came third. This is him straight after:

Bericht_DH_Vouilloz.jpg

Nico had done this a few times prior, most notably in late '94 in some of the World Cup rounds to allow him to out-pedal others on the straights and use his incredible talent to get a hardtail though the rest of the course.

There is an advert for the Zaskar as a downhill bike during this period - must try and find it!

Drencrom":16115alj said:
Nicolas Vouilloz in the 1995 Mens Downhill at Kirchzarten, Germany. He switched to a Zaskar just before the start of the race due to the muddy conditions allowing him to pedal more than on the LTS's he and Mike King had been running. King came third. This is him straight after:

Bericht_DH_Vouilloz.jpg

Nico had done this a few times prior, most notably in late '94 in some of the World Cup rounds to allow him to out-pedal others on the straights and use his incredible talent to get a hardtail though the rest of the course.

There is an advert for the Zaskar as a downhill bike during this period - must try and find it!

cool.

Perhaps I'm off, but didn't Brian Lopes win a few things on a GT

Resurr4ecting this as a) it's still driving me nuts and b) it reared it head again no for the 25th aniversary, but now it the only bike to have won a world cup in XC, DH, Slalom and Trials... So more things but for world cups... and I still can't for the life of me find anyone winning anything DH on a Zaskar...

And no Nico didn't win the 95 worlds on one at Kirchzarten, he's clearly on an LTS DH, the video is quite easy to watch and see.

Re:

Just make sure your semantics are correct in that the World Cup is the 6-7 round Series sponsored by Grundig / Diesel / Shimano etc...

World Champs / Worlds is the one off at end of season....

Given that for 10 years as a junior and a Senior Nico won almost everything then it's not difficult to imagine him winning one on a Zaskar. likely to have been as a junior rather than a senior and likely to have been a wet smooth race rather than a rock fest like Cap D'Ail

Pics here of him at Kaprun on one

http://malcolmfearon.photoshelter.com/g ... JW2Y2xDOZw

yeah but Kaprun, where he did ride a Zaskar ('94), he got second to Franciour Gachet...

I almost got into an argument with Hans Rey today on facebook, but thought better of it, he said Kaprun as well, but 92 wasa Albert Iten, 93, Jergen Spritz, 94 Franciour Gachet, 95 Miles Rockwell (and nico was on an LTS dh by then... and junior doesn count, don't get me wrong, still a great achivement, but if you win, there is still a whole catagory above you.

And yes I know the diference between a/the world cup and the world championships, but damn its hard finding out old results of individual rounds.

On another note and since I'm ranting, why in the worl is the "podium" for mouintain biking the top 5, a podium is 1st,2nd,3rd - gold, silver, bronze... none of this top five stuff!
[/rant]

Re:

I'd disagree about Jnr results not counting towards a World Cup win. as its no different to ride as a 17yr old junior against guys who you'll race against at 18 in seniors....

Still counts as a World Cup win...

No, I agree its a world cup win, but its a junior world cup win not a elite win, otherwise scrap junior catagory and let everyone race in only one catagory (which I guess would have made anne croline chausson happy at '95 worlds). I don't mean to take anything away from the atheltes that win or compete in juniur ranks, I don't want to say it's a lesser catagory...but it is. Similar to under 23 in XC, if it was as important as elite, then Jolanda Neff would not be reigning world cup champ, but probably under 23 instead.

In this case i take world cup wins (the only bike to win in all catagories) to be senior/elite, but we still don't even know if Nico won in juniors on a zaskar either, probably but who knows.

Re: Re:

boxxer":2qzs49th said:
Just make sure your semantics are correct in that the World Cup is the 6-7 round Series sponsored by Grundig / Diesel / Shimano etc...

World Champs / Worlds is the one off at end of season....

Given that for 10 years as a junior and a Senior Nico won almost everything then it's not difficult to imagine him winning one on a Zaskar. likely to have been as a junior rather than a senior and likely to have been a wet smooth race rather than a rock fest like Cap D'Ail

Pics here of him at Kaprun on one

http://malcolmfearon.photoshelter.com/g ... JW2Y2xDOZw

Very sure your right that he rhode and won on a Zaskar. Ill get more info on it.

http://wontbackdownfilm.com/images/017-img.jpg

Heres a question... What are the brakes he used on his Zaskar and LTS?

nope he got second, you can see it on youtube

ANd don't get me wrong, i'l be more than happy if someone can find actual proof he did, i'll be delighted, I just don't think it happened.

Latest posts

Back