Wiper seal installation tools?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
What do you use to fit wiper seals? Have been using some DIY pipe, but wondering, aside from the proper tools, what others use as looking to replace my pipe with something better as have a few forks to service.

Re:

Good shout, should have thought of that as they have many other uses aside from bolt removal. Thanks.

I didn't have any sockets which were long enough, so I bought a plumbing connection. It is a 1 1/4" polypropylene coupling. Can't beat the price!

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_154417555~2.jpg
    IMG_20200401_154417555~2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 669
I use PVC pipe for my old Marzocchi. I split it length wise so I can use it on 28-35mm stanchions I've probably used it 15 times. Have a shop-vac extension I cut & use on my Marzzochi 888 as 38mm was a bit of a stretch for the pvc.

Also for you DIY'rs out there. A flappy padel sanding wheel on a hand held grinder is the fastest and easiest way to flat face a socket for a fork top cap. Tried using a standard grinder and a file and both take WAY too long. This works in a minute.

To make the install easier I usually try and remember to freeze the seals an hour or so before install.

Attachments

• 1Home made flat sockets and seal drivers.jpg
    1Home made flat sockets and seal drivers.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 621
Another white plastic plumbing waste pipe re-user here too :D

I went oversized then sanded the outside of it for a perfect fit ;)

Re:

I use a socket, but on Fox Forks I take off the spring on the outside of the seal (where fitted) then re-fit after installation. I have crushed that seal before.

SP

Back