WIP Yeti Ultimate

That's a great frame and congrats on finding it. I like Pete's proposal of TIG welding if that is an option. Part of the nostalgia for me are the welds themselves. Good luck with the project and signing in for updates. PM me if you need any help with the Bullseye components. Still have cranks and hubs.

Thank you. I took all the components off this week. This is what the cracked tube looks like:

p5pb15003712.jpg

I will need to wait until the frame can be stripped of it's paint and then proceed from there. My preference is also welding if the complete tube needs to be replaced. I will not have the frame powder coated but painted.

I suspect the seat tube was already rusted or maybe there was a hole caused by rust in the tube. When I tried to get the seat post in a bit lower I put my weight (only 70 kg's mind you) on the saddle (it was moving free but wouldn't go lower) and heard a strange noise. It must have been the hole or crack getting bigger. At first you couldn't tell as the paint was still intact but I scratched the paint to see if it really had cracked.

When I collected the bike I noticed it had a repaint had the decals are not right. So, like I wrote before it was a calculated risk and at the price I paid I cannot complain. That's also why I want to get the complete frame stripped off the paint to see what it looks like. After that the most important thing is to find a welder with enough experience to get it properly repaired. I have adjusted my plans: first ride will be 2018 now.

Been there, done that - Enjoy your rebuild :) Sure there are skilled welders in your area too, Georg Blaschke is doing a top job.

@pete_mcc: so your (?) Campy-Ultimate now has a 31,8 seat tube dia?

Cheers
IHR

This has been a while... The fun part of these projects for me is thinking about which part to use, the gathering of the parts, choosing the colors for the frame and fork. I think I have gathered most of the parts for the Ultimate. This will leave me too decide the colors. First I was thinking turquoise for the frame and fork and a black FTW stem. However, I think I want to have the frame repaired, painted turquoise and I will have the fork and stem painted neon yellow again. Then I will use black and white Yeti decals. What are your thoughts?

Some pictures of the parts I gathered:

p5pb16086151.jpg

p5pb16086155.jpg

p5pb16086153.jpg

p5pb16086152.jpg

p5pb16086154.jpg

And a last one of the frame, fork and stem

p5pb16086150.jpg

Latest posts

Back