WIP Yeti Ultimate

Ferry

Retro Guru
I was looking for a Yeti Pro FRO or Ultimate and came across this Yeti Ultimate here in the Netherlands. The price was very reasonable so I decided to buy the bike. This is what it looked like when I picked it up:

p5pb15003696.jpg

Some small changes:

p5pb15003694.jpg

It seems to have been repainted once and not very well. The decals are not right either and seem to be located wrongly aswell. I was considering a repaint when last week I discovered a crack in the seat tube. It's located just above the bottom bracket. So, first of all I will get the frame, fork and stem stripped of all paint and than decide the game plan depending on the condition of the seat tube. I will probably have it completely replaced and subsequently have the frame repainted or powdercoated RAL 5018 and the fork and stem RAL 1026. I will contact Gil for the decals.

I have already started collecting replacement parts. Instead of a full Shimano XT build I want a full Suntour XC Pro build except for the hubs (Bullseye) and cranks (Bullseye). The current specifications (and in bold the parts I have collected thus far and I will replace once the frame is repaired)

Frame: Yeti Ultimate 19"

Fork: Answer Accutrax

Headset: Cycletech still looking for a Chris King or similar replacement
Stem: FTW
Handlebar: Answer Taperlite 2 black still looking for a Answer Hyperlite black
Grips: unknown brand Oury or ODI
Barends: Ritchey these will be removed

Brakes: Suntour XC Pro (SE rear) NOS Suntour XC Pro SE rear still looking for NOS front brakes
Brake Pads: Kool Stop
Brake Cables: unknown brand Dia Compe
Cantilever cable hangers: Suntour XC Pro rear / unknown brand front Suntour
Brake Levers: Suntour XC Pro

Shifters: Grip Shift NOS Suntour XC Pro thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Suntour XC Pro
Derailleur Cables: unknown brand Suntour
Cassette: Shimano XT
Chain: Sachs Saedis
Cranks: Cook Bros Racing dog bones still looking for Bullseye cranks
Chainrings: Shimano and Onza buzz saw Suntour
Bottom Bracket: Cook Bros Racing
Pedals: Shimano PD M747 Suntour XC Pro

Hub Skewers: Shimano Suntour
Front wheel: Bullseye front hub Campagolo rimBullseye Araya RM17
Rear wheel: Huge Compact / Mavic Bullseye Araya RM17
Tyres: Bontrager Tioga Psycho

Saddle: Selle Italia Fite Transalp Selle Italia Turbo
Seatpost: Shimano XT reproduction IRD
Seatpost Binder: Ringle Suntour

Re:

Very nice Ultimate, not many around in our country. Good to see you have the original fork and stem. Who will you use for the seat tube replacement?

Nice Yeti! It's always unsure what you are going to get when buying old metal ;-)
But it will sure be worth fixing

I hope to see more of this project

Cheers
Jeroen

Great make over, Ferry: well done :cool: !

Shame about the crack, but it seems you have sufficient funds and patience available to get that fixed.
Anyway, that will make you enjoy this project much longer, thereby preventing a new itch to arise ;)..
Will your Ultimate be a rider ultimately?

@ Bart, I know Georg Blaschke (http://www.gebla.de) has replaced a seat tube of a Yeti Ultimates before, see this link: https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/ultimat ... 493/page-3. However, if I want him to do the repair I have to wait till 2018. So I was also in contact with a Dutch framebuilder. There's one issue this Dutch frame builder will not weld the tubes but uses a technique called "hardsolderen" I think it's fillet braze in English. Any thoughts on this? It's not going to remain original with the seat tube replacement but I want it to be as good as it can be....

@ Jeroen, It was a calculated risk and always at the back of my mind seeing it had a bad repaint. Can't complain for the price I paid for it though. I will keep this thread up to date with pictures etc. First off all, I have to wait till the painters are back from holidays. I want to bring the frame, fork and stem to Unlimited Colors who seem to do a lot of bikes. They also sprayed the racebikes for Giant Sunweb (Giro d' Italia and Tour de France).

@ Felix, is there anywhere I can check the serial number. I will need to wait till the frame is stripped of it's paint though. Can't read it at the moment.

@ Eef, thanks. That wasn't the hardest part though. Those other tires made a huge difference. I will be riding this for sure. If it wasn't for the crack I would have entered the retro ride a couple of weeks ago in Landgraaf (25 years Parkstad route). I have already got a second wheelset with some Onza Canis skinwalls to (ab)use.

Hey, If the price is right, you can sure take a risk ;-)
And the good thing is, now you have to do it right.

I have a couple of projects that I was planning on having re-painted, but in the, just built up as is, with just a moderate result!!!

Good luck and keep posting pictures

Jeroen

I had the seat tube on my Ultimate replace by a builder in the UK called Kevin Winter, he uses TIG welding rather than fillet brazing so the original look is maintained. He also does RAL matched resprays:

35733890616_9070e1628f_c.jpg

35774977905_f2b4d14241_c.jpg

36303075206_e0e7460543_c.jpg

This one was more badly damaged than yours with heavy rust, cracks and plates welded on so Kevin had to use a 31.8mm seat tube to replace the 27.2 but otherwise it looks like new.

Kevin used to build frames for the UK track team, Hardisty and others.
He's not got a big web presence but you could phone him on 01740 652281, or his email might work: kevin@winterframes.orange.co.uk

Re:

I have good experience with m-gineering (Marten Gerritsen) who ussually brazes his frames. If you need the whole tube replaced I would choose someone who can Tig weld the replacement, same as used on the original. For a spot repair brazing would also work, and you would not see the difference. If you want I can ask around for a Dutch builder thay could Tig weld a complete replacement tube. Send me a pm if you like, I'm prety sure there's some good builders with the right skils around.

Back