Wiggle Southern Rough Ride - Mini Review

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Did this ride yesterday, enjoyed the route (some spectacular views and weather), I chose the epic 34 miler, it was very well organised with a well signed and marshalls at all road crossings and some friendly riders who were up for a chat. The terrain was well mixed with some hardpack (near the start), some gooey (climb near Cissbury was one such area) and some bumpy (few large stones and roots), nothing totally unrideable on rigid. There a good mix of climbing, flat and descending. The cost was £30, but you got fed (sandwiches, flapjacks, Banana, Fig rolls and sweets) and they provided some free energy drink and gels at the feed stations, there was some mechanical support and recovery for the terminal, you also got a free Hi-5 bottle and assortment of drinks and gels and finally there was a medal, free brew and a nice shirt for the finishers
Overall well recommended.
I had to take a short cut at just after 20 miles and missed out about 3 miles of the ride due to the sciatic nerve problem but took some pain killers and by the time I left the second feed station they were working and I was able to finish.
I am pretty confident my Muddyfox Prestige Comp was the oldest bike in the ride, it was not disgraced (only the rider having a sciatic nerve problem slowed it down). There were a few bumpy descents where suspension would have helped and I had to slow down compared to my ride buddies, the brakes though proved excellent and were more than up to the job with great modulation and power. I had swapped off the Splashbacks for some IRC Mythos which were OK in everything but the sticky clay where they turned to balls of mud (but lots had the same problem and I don't think many tyres would have worked well there). Mechanically it held up well until coming out of the last feed station I noticed a severe buckle in the rear wheel and when I checked a few miles later because it was creaking badly I noticed I'd popped my broken spoke cherry (never in 25 years of MTB'ing have I broken a spoke). I slackened off the rear brake for the rest of the ride to cope with the buckle and finished.
One thing I did notice (like the south downs challenge a couple of years ago) is that retro gearing is too tall for the terrain, on the climbs I could ride I would fine myself in granny gear overtaking the newer MTB's who were in granny gear. However come the climbs that were more challenging the 24/28 combo just wasn't low enough and I was off pushing where guys on the 22/32 combos were just able to grind it out.
Thinking I may get a Suntour MD setup for the front of the Prestige.
Took a couple of pics of it when I got home and it was washed off, should be some pics of the event up soon I hope and I went in RB livery I should be easy to spot.
Yesterdays steed.

Now off to see if I can fix that broken spoke.

Carl.

Back