Why is it so hard to sell good bikes??

i think the probelm you have selling whole bikes is, for most ppl, its a hobby where you build projects. otherwise you are just paying for someone elses fun. builds are almost never worth as much as they cost to put together.

sympathies on teh nightware ex and family court problems. i have a mate with similar problems, it almost broke him emotionally, certainly destroyed him financially, in the process seriously compromising his kids future. but she just had to win. actually only the lawyers win.

pretty much agree with the blend comment though, it all goes down the same hole, just neck some tescos own and feel a bit less poor.

catf":1gmyx58v said:
i think the probelm you have selling whole bikes is, for most ppl, its a hobby where you build projects.

given how little a lot of bikes on here get ridden, this nails it pretty well.

catf":2n6c8wq2 said:
i think the probelm you have selling whole bikes is, for most ppl, its a hobby where you build projects. otherwise you are just paying for someone elses fun. builds are almost never worth as much as they cost to put together.

Very true and similar in the vintage car and tractor marketplace. A barn find requiring restoration will always make more than the restored when one considers the cost of restoration etc. (if that make sense to you!).

People want the challenge and excitement of the build (there are I am sure, as always exceptions to the rule). One exception is the an historic bike, such a team race bike with province. Bit like buying Lego/model ready made, what is the point.

Gerard":1ukrz4l6 said:
catf":1ukrz4l6 said:

Very true and similar in the vintage car and tractor marketplace. A barn find requiring restoration will always make more than the restored when one considers the cost of restoration etc. (if that make sense to you!).

People want the challenge and excitement of the build (there are I am sure, as always exceptions to the rule). One exception is the an historic bike, such a team race bike with province. Bit like buying Lego/model ready made, what is the point.

THIS 100%

Those people who don't get back after they asked you to email lots of pictures and info, scum of the earth those people.

It's not so bad though when you get to keep a great bike and you see them riding something crap instead.

Re:

Not sure whether the OP meant this forum or in general. This forum then: I gave up trying to sell anything here a while back - especially frames or bikes...I don't have any tat and I feel that many folk do not recognise the difference between quality and tat.

Seems the mainstream is popular here (mass produced bikes) and the bespoke handbuilt largely ignored - especially if built by a little known builder (e.g Bill Philbrook).

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old git who's time on RB is over ?

Rk.

Re:

It is a sad peculiarity with our hobby that strip mining a perfectly good bicycle for parts can bring more profit than selling the whole, I don't know if anyone else watches 'Put your money where your mouth is' ? I think it was on Thursdays episode that Caroline Hawley bought a 60's ? Motobecane roadster French 'barn find' in actually very nice condition with funky brown/red tyres and green grips, from an antiques fair for £50 and my sad mind started stripping it straight away. Embossed leather saddle £40-50, Mafac brakes £50........... Caroline managed to flog it whole to a cycle shop/cafe owner for £170 whole so not a bad profit anyway........

People often over value what they are selling. If it is priced correctly it will sell.

In my experience it is the same for bicycles as for guitars, motorcycles, cars etc..

Lots of people on here post words of encouragement "absolute bargain mate" and so on but have no real idea of the market place. Cinelli, Colnago and Klein road bike are classic examples.

All the best to the OP - I feel for you.

Never really had a problem selling whole bikes especially as mine tend to be 'boring'. No personal touches that take it too far from whats acceptable - big ugly adjustable stems or daft decals/ mix/ match parts etc. A few times people have arrived with more money than the asking price because they were impressed by the selling price and the quality of the item when seen in the flesh.

Quality still sells.

Re:

Lots of factors involved in regards to selling old bikes, timing, luck, what's in vogue, it's a niche market, only a handful of people interested in old bikes. I have bought and sold a lot of stuff in the last 3 years, and haven't turned a profit (not that was my goal) I have just about broken even :facepalm: . Selling doesn't always make sense, I sold some silver Pace rc30 forks for £85, in mint condition, then 2 months later on eBay some silver rc30 forks, not in as good condition imo, sell for £160!
So selling quality retro kit is very much a lottery in a niche market.

Latest posts

Back