Why can I buy 3x8 brake shifters for flat bars for £14 but.............................

Mangizmo

Raleigh Fan
Shimano 3x8 rapidfire brake shifters that last for years £14 (just bought some) and yet the same thing for drop bars is £100 or even more, technically no more to them so why is that ??

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
In a sentence, because the manufacturers can get away with it.
Thinking about it, 8 speed flat bar kit is in the main sold to non enthusiast cycle commuters. Charge them £100 and they'll walk away and either run/bus/car to work for that cost.
Looking at drop bar stuff, I'm not sure new stuff starts at 8 speed, so you're already a notch or two higher in complexity. But the main thing is the drop bar market is seen as sporting rather than transport, so they are able to get away with charging a premium.

Good question.

You are confusing functional equivalence to technology, pull a flat bar shifter apart and then a STI apart and you will find (at least) part of the answer.

Technically, these were more equivalent to road STIs and were not cheap. One of Shimano's greatest blunders.

iu

Functionally they do a similar job, technically they don't.

Also other considerations come into play - aero, weight, style, long lasting, cheap - pick any one or two - unless you are willing to pay big bucks.

The cost of something is by no means related to its value and/or price.

In a sentence, because the manufacturers can get away with it.
Thinking about it, 8 speed flat bar kit is in the main sold to non enthusiast cycle commuters. Charge them £100 and they'll walk away and either run/bus/car to work for that cost.
Looking at drop bar stuff, I'm not sure new stuff starts at 8 speed, so you're already a notch or two higher in complexity. But the main thing is the drop bar market is seen as sporting rather than transport, so they are able to get away with charging a premium.
I like your explanation, I have used a set of 3x7 shifters for 15 years and they still work fine, they have proved super durable, even the entry level Shimano kit is good quality, I cant see why drop bar shifters would cost any more to produce than flat bar, basically the sports market comprises of people that are prepared to pay more and so they charge as much as they can get

I like your explanation, I have used a set of 3x7 shifters for 15 years and they still work fine, they have proved super durable, even the entry level Shimano kit is good quality, I cant see why drop bar shifters would cost any more to produce than flat bar, basically the sports market comprises of people that are prepared to pay more and so they charge as much as they can get

There's also a possibility that the more functional cheaper stuff is a loss leader to get Shimano's name out there, and so when/if people upgrade to something fancier they choose the big S.

There's also a possibility that the more functional cheaper stuff is a loss leader to get Shimano's name out there, and so when/if people upgrade to something fancier they choose the big S.
Yes, quite possibly, I will stick with the functional cheaper stuff, I am a cheapskate :)

The other thing to consider is that the £14 shifters don't have to compete with anything. They are likely replacements for a Shimano equipped bike. Doesn't matter if they're heavy, use plastic bits or bright steel finishing. It's about functionality.
The drop bar stuff has competition. There's the Shimano v campag v SRAM v Microsoft consideration, so it needs to seem attractive and advantageous as well as functional. Then there's the tiagra v 105 v ultegra v duraace consideration. Each level has to offer something better than it's lesser stablemate.
So drop bar stuff has to consider style, finish, weight and function v its rivals and those enhancements cost money, eg materials, machining tolerances and has to recover R&D and marketing costs.

Back