Why are Chris King headsets...

If you've had one you will know.. <plays 'mystical' tune on flute to emphasis point>

Shame they never came in ahead.

1FE40034-883F-4456-8E08-9DAE2EAF5B4F.jpeg

Re: Re:

LikeClockwork":3ayj3k2g said:
al-onestare":3ayj3k2g said:
LikeClockwork":3ayj3k2g said:
I suspect even though the CK's are super smooth and gorgeous to look at, the cheap ones on ebay are just as good and as per usual, you're just paying for the name really....

No, no you're not.

Point taken, after reading through this thread again.
Nah. I reckon you're right. You can get 95% of the performance/durability for a quarter of the RRP (but it'll probably need some looking after), and 99% of the performance (probably maintenance free as well) for 50% of the RRP.
It's up to you if you think CK are worth the money. I don't.
The hope on my MTB, gets far more use and abuse and feels just as nice in use as my road bikes CK, and is maintenance free so far, 4 years in. And "only" 60 quid.

And CK also fail the WTF test. Bearings that are hardened all the way through aren't suitable for anything with any sort of shock or vibration loads. They're good for stuff in labs/hospitals/precision machinery. But not so hot in a headset, at least not on our roads.

Well, retrobikes have little to do with performance vs money... this CK case is the same with just about every part of a bike (from Syncr-o-matic bolts to titanium frames to Grafton perches...)... and it is funnier this way IMO...

In the case of modern bikes with CK headsets I guess it happens more or less the same... we all have bikes far more expensive than the ones we really need..........at least I do :p

I am a King fan. ive got 3 sets of hubs, 3 headsets and 2 bottom brackets. The hubs are up to 15yrs old. The headsets are getting on too. The bottom brackets are the most durable for external I've used. They are all easy to service when required. Some of these have been bought 2nd hand, I'd happily buy more if/when required.

Re:

£7.90 Rabid headset arrived:

Rabid1.jpg

Rabid2.jpg

Rabid3.jpg

Rabid4.jpg

Quite nicely finished and the sealed bearings feel very smooth.

i have 2 x CK headsets, pewter and Blue ano, both second hand (for £35/40 repspectively). not mint condition as prices would denote, but work and feel sturdy - never had to adjust due to any wobble that has emerged.

on several occasions my fellow riders have needed a tweak pre ride/mid ride due to headset play (not CK) but thats perhaps more to do with lack of service/care when installing...
my CK was installed with much care and attention :)

and Xerxes - whats going on here? or is that the pics fault?
not that im looking upon this headset with a cynical eye or anything...... :roll: :evil:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 371
Re:

and Xerxes - whats going on here? or is that the pics fault?

Not sure, it's not a camera fault, just some marks from manufacture or assembly I guess. It's a very close-up shot and the bearings feel super smooth when you rotate them in your hand. I've had the same headset on one of my bikes for a year or so and it's been absolutely fine and feels as smooth as the day I got it, so no complaints, especially given the price; I could buy about 13 of them for the price of a Chris King headset. :D

Re: Re:

xerxes":3m9rpkxq said:
My experience is that cheap Chinese bearings in my Hope hubs last 6 months whereas an NMB, NSK or SKF bearing will last a couple of years.

I agree with you about using quality bearings, F.A.G. are good too, but most boutique parts manufacturers, Hope, Chris King etc. don't actually produce their own bearings, they buy them in. They make the housing, be it a hub or headset, but not the actual bearings themselves.

Looking at a hub or headset cups, other than being better finished, it's difficult to see how one can be 10 or 20 times better and more expensive than another. :?

I am surprised how little people know about one of the industry's greatest companies. King indeed produce everything in house and they take great pride in it. They are also known for not jumping bandwagon and researching the crap out of every product they throw to the market. This is why they don't have a billion products for every stupid standard of the industry, but only a few. On the other hand, in the heyday of integrated headsets, they were the only company that had an article on its site that explained why that is not the best. They also recycle almost all aluminium that they use and also the oils and are permanently involved in charitable causes, such as breast cancer awareness and bikes for Africa. Maybe one should click a little bit around before starting to spread out their misconceptions.

I have a King headset from 1996 that has seen more bikes and forks than I can remember. It is in almost perfect condition. I have met Chris at Eurobike two years ago. He is a humble, friendly and down-to-earth guy. Hats off!

Hope make great product with more value than you'd suspect and have a great customer support.

I found the same Chinese bearings that I've had in my first generation Nukeproof Generator hubs (awful seals) in the much more expensive DT FR hubs, except that their life was longer in the latter, due to the seals. Nothing Swiss in there, really...

Cheers.
Mx

Back