Who knows about ipods and MP3's etc?

There is another option to get a nokia c1-02 for £15 that can take 32gb micro sd (£15) to use as mp3 player. I had a ipod 80gb, but hard drive failed and dont like itunes. Also had sansa clip that lasted 6 month and wouldnt work

Re:

Another vote for the Sansa Clip - I've had mine for years and it's still going strong; it sounds better than any iPod I've tried and you can use music from any source you like (just drop the files on using whatever computer you happen to have.)

It's tiny, extremely light and yet the battery lasts ages between charges.

Re:

Thanks for all the great info chaps, given me some things to look at.

I do have an ok phone (Samsung galaxy? ) but its a work phone and they get a beating, every toy left the pram when I had to change it last as I lost a load of data!

I don't ride on the road, to many nobs about, so purely off road :-D

What he said ^^^^^, it's a 30 second job to set it going, and only takes a few hours to do *everything* on the phone.

unit3":k5am4lpc said:
(the wife has 23 days of continues music on her comp, a first gen MacBook?)
Amateur ;) I've got about 400GB of high quality/320kbps mp3s on my server, and I'm only half way through ripping my collection......... The drive holding the lossless versions is looking a bit silly now. I might have bought the wrong size! Think it's going to be about 700-750 hours by the time I'm done. The only blessing is that my CD purchasing rate has dropped massively since I started using spotify! Probably 8-10 a month down to about that in a year.... so 5 or 6 years where I haven't bought another 500 CDs!

Might also be worth looking into spotify (either subscription if you have a limited contract on your phone, or a cheaper/free version if you have enough data allowance to stream). There are a few other streaming services around, but spotify seems to be the most popular.

I have both spotify (run it on the computers, phones, wife's iPod) and a media server that I can stream to pretty much anything for my own stuff, a lot of which isn't on spotify.

Re:

I've got about 400GB of high quality/320kbps mp3s on my server, and I'm only half way through ripping my collection.........

Why would you do that, if you have lossless versions?

I play the lossless at home on the big stereo over a high speed network. The 320kbps stuff I either stick on a memory card for the phone/car (where I'd rather have masses of musical choice than high quality stuff) or stream over the internet, so I don't want to use too much of my data allowance, or have stuttering/buffering when I have a poor connection. Same reason my film collection is only being done in mp4.
I could get the server to do the conversion to a lower bit rate whilst I'm streaming, but the processor is a bit rubbish, so it's easier to just have the right version there.

And my ripping is being done in parallel, rip lossless version, then use that version to make the mp3. (While I'm ripping the next CD.) So I've only got half my collection on lossless too.....

Mp4 video? urgh...

For music I just play a 'CD' on the stereo nowadays. I noticed that after a decade of iPod/ iTunes listening, CD's were much better. Or DAT (48kHz/ 96kHz) or DVD (48kHz multi channel or 96kHz 2 channel) or Blu-ray or a sock in each ear. Anythings got to be better just lately

I can stream mp4 video to my tablet or phone. Anywhere in the world. Even on 3G.
And it'd be nice to have all my cds out and available, but twins means I'd soon have a collection of scratched discs and chewed sleeves. This way I get the same sound quality, and more space for the kids to cause chaos.

And I can pick and choose what I listen to, anywhere.

Back