Who has the most early clipless pedals????

GoldenEraMTB, it looks like most clipless designs where invented originally in the late 1890's (yes 1890's)

cinelli M-71 (above) is classed as the first modern clipless pedal in 1973

Look had the first 'functional' clipless pedal way before Shimano in 1983 (1986 to consumers), by functional being Market Success

Like I posted above, a much better timeline
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... me.history
gets a bit speedplay biased near the end, also remember by 'patent' it does not mean it was in the market or in production/invented etc before that. It take time for patents to go through. Hence why so many things are Pat. Pending ;)

I didn't mind the Onzas. Elastomers were only pennies so it didn't matter that they wore quickly.

Preferred the 737s but they were so heavy.

I had a pair of onza h2o's ,hated them ,i found they had too much float and that made it tricky to unclip in a hurry,then shimano LX which i used up to ...my last fall where the bike came too ,from then on it was flatties[ all the way.]
I think road pedals cracked the clipless thing first :?

fatfixie":14qzdoo5 said:
I got a NOS set of Cinelli M71's. made in the 70's, you need to reach down and manually unclip.......

Too scared to use em :D

ANdy

m71.jpg

Damn :eek:

FluffyChicken":14qzdoo5 said:
GoldenEraMTB, it looks like most clipless designs where invented originally in the late 1890's (yes 1890's)

cinelli M-71 (above) is classed as the first modern clipless pedal in 1973

Look had the first 'functional' clipless pedal way before Shimano in 1983 (1986 to consumers), by functional being Market Success

Like I posted above, a much better timeline
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... me.history
gets a bit speedplay biased near the end, also remember by 'patent' it does not mean it was in the market or in production/invented etc before that. It take time for patents to go through. Hence why so many things are Pat. Pending ;)

I'm sorry...I should've been more specific...1st MTB specific clipless. Bring that this was the Retro MTB forum, I thought that was understood...haha, my fault though.

Only got one pair of clipless pedals, M737's from about 1993.
Just kept for posterity and period correctness of one bike, used flats for years and not changing now
img_0497_179.jpg

Huntso":3a81986g said:
Only got one pair of clipless pedals, M737's from about 1993.
Just kept for posterity and period correctness of one bike, used flats for years and not changing now
img_0497_179.jpg

nice :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back