Who has the most early clipless pedals????

Lid":18457xel said:
I rode the Onza's for more than a year and find a few people here that still use them. They were and still are rubbish so were the Ritchey's and the early Eggbeaters. Time work better than any of these and last forever.

:roll:

Mate thats just your opinion... what is rubbish about them ? it must just be your riding style.. you just need a little skill to us them ;) :D /
i have three pairs of them, i use them on both my retrobikes and i reakon they are brilliant !!! easy to clip in to.. easy to clip out of... a nice amount of float.... and they look the nuts !!!
onza hos the ultimate retro pedal :!:

sorry I concur, onza WERE rubbish. elastomers worked poorly for pedals (& suspension fork internals), axles snapping & elastomers cracking & disintegrating. early eggbeaters were probs the worst clipless pedals ever. more chance of the bushing seizing, causing the pedal body coming away from the axle than actually clipping in. original tioga were pretty poor too.

Similarly bad were the early look/campag ones - single sided, needed road drilled shoes and were as slippery as hell (a serrated side just fills with even more mud!). I had more ball/top tube interfaces with those than any that I used.
My favourites are still Speedplays, I'm still using a set of Magnums from very, very early on (1991ish) on one of my bikes and have various iterations on every one of my bikes

gm1230126":3u81npka said:
Mr Chicken":3u81npka said:
this pedal was produced in the 1880's doesnt look that much different from alot of modern cycle pedals.

IMG_2228_resize.jpg

And that picture has "what to do" with the original posted topic question on the origin of clipless pedals? :?

its from the speedplay pedal museum. sorry, i didnt know the forum police were international :roll:

MOMBAT lists XT clipless as 1990 together with the Scott ones. Anorak fact: the prototype dual side entry clipless pedals were made for the big S by Frank the Welder.

And one more vote in favour of the Ho pedals, I got mine in 1994 and used them continuously until 1998 when I changed to more platform (424s). Sold the pedals to a mate who still uses them. Never touched the bearings btw and I am a bit of a Clydesdale. So maybe the quality control was not strong and they varied between pairs/batches? And I too loved the float and easy entry/exit, I used them mostly with the softest elastomers.

Enjoy!!

magicmistertea":h8rljlbq said:
Lid":h8rljlbq said:
I rode the Onza's for more than a year and find a few people here that still use them. They were and still are rubbish so were the Ritchey's and the early Eggbeaters. Time work better than any of these and last forever.

:roll:

Mate thats just your opinion... what is rubbish about them ? it must just be your riding style.. you just need a little skill to us them ;) :D /
i have three pairs of them, i use them on both my retrobikes and i reakon they are brilliant !!! easy to clip in to.. easy to clip out of... a nice amount of float.... and they look the nuts !!!
onza hos the ultimate retro pedal :!:

Like alot of Retro stuff it worked.....but the new stuff works so much better.
Eggbeaters also suffer from "rollover". Because each side is the same if you dont hit them just right they can.....roll over sending your foot forward. Not good in technical (near death) situations.

Shimano introduced the SPD in 1990 to the market (year before XTR was introduced to the market) I think it may have started development in 1988, though not sure where I read this, probably a wiki :LOL: Though I do remember something about Mr Shimano riding and wearing the grey MTB shoes all the time to show you could.
It was the recessed design that was the important point about it's release though probably a reinvention but in the <ahem> modern era
Clipped in, clipless pedals have been used for a long time in history and reinvented there is a better timeline somewhere

Ohh found the links in my favourite... lol it's at speedplay as well.
hanson.gif

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... me.history

Eggbeaters are great, enough float so that your knees won't suffer - if you do suffer in that Dept., 4 sided entry - better than two, excellent mud clearance and look really nice too.

Because it's such a minimalistic pedal it has to have small bearings, a shame but you can't have it all ways with such a small pedal. Keep the bearings greased and they'll last for a reasonable amount of mileage, don't and they'll fail in a short amount of mileage. Keep an eye out for play in the bearings and change 'em when they're getting rough.

I have had them roll on me, but I can say that other pedals have done that too but to a lesser extent.

I've got some M737's and some 747's in a box labelled up as PD M525 clipless pedals, would the 525's be an even earlier clipless pedal?

Back