Who do you think you are kidding Mr Butler

Thanks @dwscrimshaw I agree, thirties style but likely a forties number.

So the seller has sent me more close-ups of the Sturmey Archer hub.
We already know it’s an “AW” and that this was introduced in 1937 and for some unexplained reason these were never date stamped for the period 1941-1946, this one also has a black left ball cup (war time predominantly)
This information of course doesn’t really help but possibly supports the supposition that this is a 1946 bike.
But of course a 1936 bike could have a 1941 gear hub fitted, but I still think that although it’s not impossible it’s looking unlikely.

Last edited:
Today I had a long telephone conversation with the seller, Tim, about his fathers war experience. He admitted his memory from his 50’s childhood was a bit hazy (born in 1949 and looking forward to his 74th birthday this year)
His dad was born in 1908 so obviously would have been a fully grown adult in 1936 if that was when he got the bike.
In 1939 he was earning a living as an artist and didn’t fancy being shot at so he’d joined the AFS that summer just before the war started, not realising actually how dangerous the Blitz would be!
Tim thinks he recalls his dad telling him that he got the bike just before the war, but also admits it could well have been just after. He does remember his dad telling him that they painted the London Taxi that they had commandeered for their fire fighting work in NFS grey so maybe the paint was left over from that?
Anyway, even though Tim offered a refund as the bike isn’t as advertised, I’ve declined his offer and will be collecting the bike later in the month.
So, alas my hunt for a Wartime service Claud continues.

Last edited:
Question. I know bike rear guards were painted white at the end during wartime for use in the blackout. Was it common practice at at any other time?

Back