Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Well the New Years resolution of no new projects in 2023 was blown last night when I noticed @Gtpulse had posted this;

Well its in my size and I'm a sucker for WW2 memorabilia!
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (13).jpg
For £45 I think it's a steal and will collecting sometime in January.

Plans?

Well I've had a text conversation with the seller and it turns out it was his farther who had used it during the war whilst he volunteered in the Auxiliary Fire Service during the Blitz, he's not sure what colour it was before the war but insists it was never black as per the usual ARP wardens bikes and believes his father painted it grey as per the National Fire Service war time Grey with white mudguards (1941-45)
Although the seller believes it to be an ARP/Utility bike, there are some inconsistencies which need investigating.
ChathamHDFireEngine0079.jpg
Once I've had a face to face and striped the bike down, I'll have a better idea of what needs doing, but my intention is to take it back to War service trim and possibly have it on display at the Shuttleworth collection.

Last edited:
Odd frame number. 624722
Looks normal but doesn’t quite fit.
I’m asking the numbers Guru @dwscrimshaw for advice.
DE63AE8B-BF22-487E-B57A-BBCF141AD8D4.jpeg

That's looking like semi lugless and the ARP No2 picture is lugged?

BSA version on ebay for 550

That's looking like semi lugless and the ARP No2 picture is lugged?

BSA version on ebay for 550
Yup. I need to look into it more but the seller believes his dad had it built specifically for his extra long legs but short reach and that it wasn’t an issued machine, fillet brazing would accommodate this if the off the shelf lugs didn’t fit the angles, maybe?

Assuming that the spec in the ad matches the spec that the bike were produced to other things don't quite add up, like the position of the mudguard eyes. It's got wide clearances with the 27" wheels pictured, 26" would be massive and probably more than the brake drop. Alloy stem, pedal bodies and a 5 bolt chainwheel too could all have been added later in life.
I suspect a later lightweight frame that's had some stuff from the original bike swapped over. My own father (who's in his nineties) can't remember everything about his bikes from the 1950s so info like that can easily be missed.
It's a nice looking frame though.

Assuming that the spec in the ad matches the spec that the bike were produced to other things don't quite add up, like the position of the mudguard eyes. It's got wide clearances with the 27" wheels pictured, 26" would be massive and probably more than the brake drop. Alloy stem, pedal bodies and a 5 bolt chainwheel too could all have been added later in life.
I suspect a later lightweight frame that's had some stuff from the original bike swapped over. My own father (who's in his nineties) can't remember everything about his bikes from the 1950s so info like that can easily be missed.
It's a nice looking frame though.
Yes I’ve noted these details, but I’m going to see what this chap can tell me about the bike and what he remembers his Dad telling him.
I could of course quite easily list all the inconsistencies and advise him of them, but in my experience that can sometimes come across as rude and I don’t want the chap to get the hump, certainly if there’s any chance of getting some of the history from him.

Ps headset and Continental drop-outs also don’t match. But for the sake of £45 I’m still interested to hear what the old guy has to say.

Back