White Industries crank set question

Re:

Thanks guys; really appreciated :D

So we can sum things up like this:

White Industries C Series made in US takes 122,5-127 mm spindle

White Industries M Series made in Japan by Sugino takes 107-113 mm spindle.

Correct?

K.

Re:

No idea on the USA models, but if they have the same profile as the sugino, then they cannot really be 122.5 crank.
They would need to be a similar profile to 1990 style shimano cranks.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":b0a5a5e6 said:
No idea on the USA models, but if they have the same profile as the sugino, then they cannot really be 122.5 crank.
They would need to be a similar profile to 1990 style shimano cranks.
➡️ Right so

I agree, that we need a firm confirmation on the spindle length for the US version.
Both the US and Japanese versions were available to customers in the same period. Can be verified from catalog in Archive section.
Seems odd that the difference in design between the two versions should mandate a totally different length.

I have approached White Industries to see if any information is available. We will have to see if they are turning up with some specs or make an answer at all.

K.

Re:

Feedback on my approach to White Industries :D ......... although........

.....we are not all set but getting closer (maybe) :?

Anyways, cudos and super nice of them to answer a request on items +20 years old.

The reply I got:

We welcome your inquiry and I wish I had a specific answer to help you. While it seems like an easy question, I remember the GT Zaskar had special spacing that was very specific to that bike. It seems it was narrower than the traditional 135mm spacing .. something odd I recall like 123 or 128mm. I just don’t remember. Anyway, I don’t know what the chainstays are like, but if you are using and can find the original Phantom BB, they are adjustable so it would be forgiving. On the safe side I’d go with either a 115mm or 118mm BB so you would clear the stays. It could be that you can go narrower, but that frame was unique and I don’t have a good recollection on what was appropriate at that time.

I hope that was somewhat helpful even if not entirely answering your question.

Best
Lynette

➡️ Never heard of the Zaskar being tighter at rear end, as I assume that is what Lynette is referring to, ie. 135 mm spacing.

What do you make out of this :?:
According to Lynette there is not much difference in length requirement between C and M series.

K.

Re:

Stick on whatever bottom brackets you have and see how they fit.

It could be she was meaning they need to use a 73mm shell and run at the 50mm chain line due to the fatter tubing and not run the 120 or less rear end.
It's a long time ago and not everyone is geek enough to remember ;-)

(Which would be a 73/113 bottom bracket I would start with and work from there.)
Go for trial and error ;-)

Re:

Well then..... finally got the frame up from the basement and made some measurements on the Zaskar frame (which has 73 mm bottom bracket shell).

All measurements below are based on the WI Phantom bottom bracket.:

Right crank arm clearance: 44,5 mm
Left crank arm clearance: 42,5 mm

Crank arms are pushed 13 mm onto spindle, which results in a minimum spindle length of 113 mm. This again gives a minimum Q (or tread) = 171 mm.

My C series crank set is the compact version, but the above figures seems to be valid for the standard BCD 110/74 as well. There is very good clearance from granny ring to chain stay.
Also - measurements are based on the WI Phantom bottom bracket. If using different manufacturer like fx Shimano, where cups are flush with bottom bracket shell, you might be able to use a slightly shorter spindle.

Questions and comments are more than welcome :D

K.

Back