White Ind Hubs

gump

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Bit of help needed here..

I have managed to acquire two WI hubs. Started off a bit tatty, but a bit of elbow grease and they are now sex :D

However, need to date them as they went through a 'dark period' of lower quality stuff. Not that these would be of course ;)

One has a fat main body with large bearings, the other has a slim body and smaller bearings. Not much to go on I'm afraid, but any WI experts on here that could help?

Ta..

I had/ have white industry hubs. http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/white.html

Quality wise I'd rate them only as ok. Front 1 seems fine, just replace the bearings, although the grub screw is a pain. (incidently david baker used this front hub for years ;)
The rear 1 is very light. Thats probabily my only positive thing to say about it! The early hubs used copper leaf springs, waay to fragile as I found to my cost when the freehub died middle of dartmoor. found some wired, tied the spokes to the cassette & fixed gear all the way home.
Bearings also didnt have an axle spacer to pre-load the bearings (I had 1 made). Apparently later models used tougher "pawls" than the copper of the originals, which may last longer? (my mate carlo has some on his Funk which are still working fine, although he does like 50miles a year ;... & no the Funks not for sale!)

I'd date the hubs around 94/95

shortly afterwards the cranks had OEM copies made by sugino I believe, which in reliability probabily means that the suginos worked better than the originals.

reading the bikepro link "There are three pawls made of S7 tool steel" so they deffo upgraded after I had mine.. b'std!

the copper 1s were like newborn baby fingernails.. ;)

cheers Scant! :D
Exactly what I needed. Genius.

I have one each of the first two unbuilt, and the cassette rear ready built that came with the Fat. Question now - which one do I build up to match the rear ?? :?

Back