White Bros SC72UL servicing

theboy

Senior Retro Guru
Good eeevening,

Having just popped a lovely pair of White Bros SC72UL forks on the Bonty I had a bit of a pootle around town and dropped off a few kerbs (as eXXXtreme as I get anyway tbh), and they feel OK in a they go up and down a bit way, but they top out when I pull the front up, and theres very little rebound. Now am I just being harsh on them cos Im used to my '07 Marz bombers, or do they need a rehaul, and if so, HOW?!

any help appreciated, but if youre getting technical please be aware I am pretty inept, very impatient and only have a hammer and a selection of screwdrivers/chisels (same thing aint they?) to hand.

TTFN!

Google takes about 5 seconds to come up with this link

http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/prodinfo.shtml :roll:

Maybe Top out could be fixed with an oil change/ top up. But if with all oil levels OK they're still too fast you'll need more than a hammer. Rebound adjustment on my WB AT/4 is by changing valve thingy inside the damper leg, like changing the needle on a carburettor.

I found that, but the link for my forks is dead...

Ill have a crack at your suggestions though mon ami.

Many Thanks!

Link works fine for me, maybe some security setting?

Just PM me your email address and I'll send you the pdf manaul for the UL forks.

Enjoy!!

I've got this beautifull fork, but no-one import it in Europe. Now, it's sleeping in my garage because it needs new seal… :roll:

the rebound is adjusted by removing the top of the schrader air valve & unscrewing via an allen key, inside each leg. when you bought the forks new there were 3 different versions (basically different size holes/apatures) for different speed rebound. to be honest they were always pretty fast being air damped. if they're topping out its probable the top out elastomer is now mush.

Top out elastomer is a good suggestion, and Scant is right about the 3 rebound thingies. They are also marked so you can see if your fork is set up fast normal or slow. My comment re oil change is a reflex reaction and with the benefit of hindsight may not be that effective for total air forks. Oil in the cartridge is mainly for lubrication and to adjust air volume.

I just sent the manual, that should help.

Enjoy!!

Are these the ones with Englund cartridges inside? They'll be fast whatever you do :)

Mine are the later AT/4s and they don't feel that fast, I'd say rather stiff actually, but I haven't serviced them yet as I'm looking for spares.

Do these speed comments apply to the AT4 as well?

The AT4 does feature the high pressure low volume system same as the older UL series. But there's a coil negative spring that can be tuned and I think will help combat topping out. Parts list does not show an elastomer bumper, only a smaller "rebound bumper" in the stack.

Latest posts

Back