Which STS should I keep?

firedfromthecircus":2j419zo5 said:
I'm no expert on GTs but to me the alloy headtube frame is what STSs look like. It looks more classic and sets it apart from modern bikes. I'm not really keen on the builds on either bike tbh, though I understand why you would go for them. If they were mine I would keep the alloy headtube bike, and the spins but built it with more period forks and groupset. M953 or something. And no dropper post!
I don't mean any offence btw, just offering my opinion since you asked. I'd probably just keep schtum otherwise. ;)

edit to add- I've never been a fan of GT. To me they are a BMX brand, but the one GT that has always attracted my attention every time I see one is the STS. Don't know what that's worth, but there you go. :LOL:
Cheers for the feedback, no problem with what you've said at all. I know what you mean about the builds. I tend to always plump for m952 so went for something a bit different for these.

I could in theory keep one in retro-mod guise (probably the DS) and rebuild the other in a more period correct m952. If I did that would you go for the XT or XTR groupset on the DS?

Funny that this started as a which to keep/sell, and now I am thinking about rebuilding one?

Funny that this started as a which to keep/sell, and now I am thinking about rebuilding one?

I think you've just answered your own question there Ian. While I was reading through the thread I was thinking 'how can you pick between two such great looking bikes?'. Keep them both - you know you'll regret selling one or the other later on. I bet you enjoy riding them too. :D

Agree with the comments already made, but as an STS 2 owner I would say that. To me the kicked back seatpost on the DS just looks odd and with the dropper does it not shrink the reach terribly when you drop the saddle just a bit for rolling trails? I think it's an ideal opportunity to do the sts 2 in a period build and resto mod the DS. Don't buy new parts for the ds, just use the best parts from both bikes and sell the rest. From following the builds, you always use good stuff, so sell the rest and put the money into nice period XTR parts for the 2, along with those amazing Spins. Done right it doesn't need to cost a lot, you may even break even.

Thanks. I've an m952 groupset in the garage so doing the build should not require any parts (apart from maybe a front mech as I don't think I have one the right size).

If I went down that route, would the xtr m970 groupset be considered better than the XT m770? Price would say so.

i'm not a fan of the builds on the frames but for me number 1 + wheels, parts on booth are not my taste

Re:

I too was/am in the same decision process but after reading this thread I think I have made up my mind...

IMG_6526_Copy.jpg

GT_STS_1000_DH_2.jpg

GT_STS_1000_DH_Copy.jpg

...I'm keeping them both.

and I'm the process of recreating this which was stolen from me in Feb 2105:

GTLTS5_Copy.jpg

A belated update as I've had a clockwork keeping me busy.

Not sure why but I think I prefer the way the ds looks, I think it's just the curved seat tube and internal seat post. Strange as I thought I'd prefer the alloy head tubed version.

Time has come to decide, I can't really justify having two of these anymore.

I appreciate that the builds aren't to everyone's tastes, but if I'm keeping the DS, what parts would you switch over?

I've decided on swapping over the modified rear shock and the betd bearing upgrade. I am in two minds about the rest. The m970 groupset is new, barely turned a few miles and in theory better than the XT. The forks are also a dilemma. The fox I bought new too, swapped the disc only lowers for some new v brake compatible versions (which I still have). Decals were off the bay as the lowers didn't come with any. The rebas on the ds I put together myself and are pretty nice and go well with the build, but they do really need a service (which I could do as I bought the kit).

Whilst I appreciate the comments on the dropper post, I never thought I'd get one but since doing so, quite like it (and I know it's not the best out there but it seems to go well with the build in my eyes).

Any comments/opinions gratefully received as I hope to strip and swap next week along with some other bike related tasks before I start seeking new employment (one of the drivers behind trying to thin the fleet, another is having less choice so I actually get out and ride rather than fettle).

Re:

late to the game but here's my 2¢ worth. STS-2 for me, strictly on aesthetics as i know not about the frames themselves.

1) alloy headtube looks nicer and balances the alloy at the seat and bb junction.
2) the bend in the seat tube just makes the already fairly wide gap of the STS-2 even larger on the 1000-DS, plus the angle the seatpost extends backward just looks all wrong to accommodate that bend.

Re:

From your posts you seem to like the DS more so keep that one. Parts wise I'd go with the Fox kit, XTR and normal wheels, oh and the dropper.

Re: Re:

RockiMtn":1b6fu1e6 said:
late to the game but here's my 2¢ worth. STS-2 for me, strictly on aesthetics as i know not about the frames themselves.

1) alloy headtube looks nicer and balances the alloy at the seat and bb junction.
2) the bend in the seat tube just makes the already fairly wide gap of the STS-2 even larger on the 1000-DS, plus the angle the seatpost extends backward just looks all wrong to accommodate that bend.
It's funny you should say that as I thought that I'd prefer the sts-2 for the exact same reasons, but somehow in the flesh, my gut prefers the DS. Not going to rush the decision, a few other bikes have now made the cull list ahead of an ST'S I think. It does add further decisions though, as I could use the 10 speed xt gears on the sts that stays, as well as the race face deus xc cranks with turbine rings. Hmmmmm. I wish I was decisive.

Back