McMahon (almost completed project) SOLD

futuristicoldman

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
********************************NOW SOLD THANKS**********************************

I know that everybody wants to make their mark on bikes that are sold on here so this little beauty is not quite the finished article, it will need a little bit of shed time to get it ready to roll. But my word, you will feel like the king of the world when its all done :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

16" McMahon (sandvik built) titanium hardtail full bike.
inc mcmahon titanium bar, stem, blue scissor brakes with matching boosters and a rigid McMahon titanium switchblade style fork (aluminium crown and dropouts, titanium legs and steerer tube, carbon fiber stiffeners inside steerer and upper legs)
xt 7speed group with thumb shifters (chainrings are fsa and not quite right). Headset is a newer xt cartridge bearing model with nice smooth bearings but a few marks on the lock rings.
araya rm 400 pro rims with blue nipples. Freshly built and un ridden since, rear rim has a few marks on the polished inner surface, sidewalls are healthy and straight with minimal wear.
onza amberwall porcupine 2.1" folding tyres (ridable but more to show the bike off really)
blue Ringleish q/r set inc seat q/r. I think they are by Omas if I remember rightly. They haven't seen mud yet.
controltech pin
bontrager/san marco titanium leather saddle with a few scuffs but perfectly usable. This one definitely suits the more slender posterior!

There's a few bits that need finishing off and a couple of little "ism's" to bear in mind which are reflected within the price.

The brakes on these little fellows have a habit of losing their press fit springs over the course of a few decades, I have had some of the anchor pieces that hold the linear springs machined up but they still need some spring steel or titanium fitting. the holes in said pieces have been bored out to 3/32". the metal should be easy enough to find and will be a little project to complete. I think I still have a few of the old ones if a dummy run is needed. One pair of brakes is missing its pad holding hard wear, I may be able to rustle something up for it though given a little time.

In true McMahon style the forks are paired down to the bone in every way possible, he bored out tiny weight saving holes right next to the brake boss thread which was an ill conceived move as it made the brake boss threads open up a touch over time. The previous owner had been running them as they were without problem but I was not 100% happy with the setup so I sent them to the engineering wizards at Betd/Goldtec who milled out the unsatisfactory threads and installed some steel helicoils which have restored their original oomph (so to speak). Obviously this is an invisible repair which is only noticeable if you remove the bosses and look very very closely. In all honesty once loctited the bosses are probably best left undisturbed and can be forgotten about. I have the receipt for the work somewhere if required, just to show it was not a man with a shed style bodge!
The previous owner was clearly lacking in the finesse department and removed a bottom bracket with a chisel and hammer or some such barbaric item which put a few dings and doinks into the threads, it was a real dogs dinner when I got my hands on it, the threads needed to be tapped out and the frame was faced down to 68mm to remove the damaged tube ends (perfectly accurately with a minty fresh park tap and facing tool I might add). The threads are clean now and accept a bottom bracket comfortably but there are a couple of small internal scars which I will illustrate with some pictures. As a very small amount of material was lost from the very tops of the threads I have applied a spot of stud lock as a precaution when fitting the b/b (its a brand new shimano cartridge affair). It runs without problems but it does mean chainsets will need to run a 3 to 5mm longer axle than one would usually expect due to the shrinking shell width. Not a problem as long as you are aware of it and buy parts accordingly. I should imagine it could only be an issue if you wanted to run an old cooks crank or something similar that runs a mind bendingly long 127mm axle, you would most likely need a near impossible to find 130mm axle. As it stands the m730 cranks use a 127mm instead of the 122.5mm that you would normally use.

Frame is a nice satin style finish which has the usual scratches and shiny bits here and there, it would not be a big job to get it re finished it you wanted a real silky smooth looking finished product. I spoke to Enigma who told me that they could do a nice neat job within the UK if needed. Decals are freshly applied via the splendid mr Gil. There is a faint shadow of a long Mcmahon logo on the left hand side of the top tube which I didn't get re made, I think now that it would have set it off nicely if they were popped back on, they are in basic block lettering so nice and easy to get re made if needed.
An extremely rare and sexy beast, not one for the overweight riders amongst us, its best suited to a skeletal racing snake. Low slung with the longest top tube you have ever seen on a 16" frame.

**********Dimensions as follows. 16 1/4" (415mm) seat tube, 100mm head tube, 59cm top tube (measured centre top of head tube to centre top of seat tube. Yes its a BIG 16"! Stem is either 125 or 130mm I can't decide as theres a bit of rise thats throwing my measurement somewhat). From the centre of the bottom bracket to the very top of the saddle at maximum extension its 715mm.************

I have tried to be transparent and honest as possible about the bike, if you have any questions etc please do not hesitate to ask.

A little collection of sorts is hopefully coming my way so looking to cash in my chips to fund a new adventure!

Sex on wheels for £899 :LOL:

Have a nice day
D

******************SOLD THANKS*******************

Attachments

• MC4.jpg
    MC4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 682
  • MC3.jpg
    MC3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 682
  • MC2.jpg
    MC2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 682
  • MC1.jpg
    MC1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 682
Re: McMahon (almost completed project)

Thank god it's too small for me or I'd be driving to you overnight, with the cash in my hand

GLWS, shouldn't hang about for long

Re:

I admit than my main interest is for the ti forks. Actually I've got a Shaka ti fork I really would swap for those ti forks... :LOL:
But that bike got what I need for my project :LOL:

Re:

Some more pics

Attachments

• MC5.jpg
    MC5.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 677
  • MC6.jpg
    MC6.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 677
  • MC7.jpg
    MC7.jpg