Which cheap car best to get???

I'd go with the golf also, I bought a P reg polo 3 years ago and the thing is absolutely indestructible i beat the living crap out of it on a daily basis and it just refuses to break, its been loaded up with bricks, bikes, garden rubbish, everything and i just cannot destroy it (i'm not allowed a new one until it dies) Its past 3 mot's and ive never spent a penny on it apart from servicing cost's...VW's rock :cool:

I have looked at other cars but think the golf and 306 are the cars that are the right size wise and what we like the look off. Anyone know of selling either car down my way???

Bike Hoarder":30yl6nxs said:
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...icleYearOfManufacture=1993&vehicleRegLetter=L

Bombproof, low mileage, and below your budget.

Golfs all the way, i've had 8 now, and still own 2 of 'em. :cool:

Yeah that one is ideal, we phoned up the number today got a woman asked about condition, she said had a couple of scraches but not much to worry about. Then she hung up and text back saying this car isn't for you best for student. So text back saying very interested though. Didn't reply back, what a COW :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hi

I actually disagree with some of the guys here. Old Golfs are not that great and i would avoid all older french cars full stop. For £700 you still have some choice but i would go Jap for older reliability or even an older BMW like a 5 series. They are not that expensive to run and very very reliable. Also Volvo are always good. As jap goes you could look at the Corolla and Primera for that money, perhaps an Avensis too which were very relaible indeed.

Anyone know of anyone selling a 306 or golf in devon. Have contacted a few ads in autotrader etc and have all been sold quickly.

Pointless thread really you want a Golf or 306 despite what others suggest and knowing a mechanic with 20 years experience I know he would suggest Japanese (and anything but french) but you will just go and buy one anyway.

Carl.

drcarlos":269wmxkw said:
Pointless thread really you want a Golf or 306 despite what others suggest and knowing a mechanic with 20 years experience I know he would suggest Japanese (and anything but french) but you will just go and buy one anyway.

Carl.

I hear what you are saying Carl but i have a friend of a friend who is a mechanic and has told me to go for either of those cars. What would you say get then???

This thread is rather amusing. I'll say it again, don't go looking for a specific car at this price. Decide what it is you want i.e. size, no. of doors, diesel/petrol, engine (will a 1.4 do as it's a town run around or do you need 1.6+ as it'll be used on the motorway, even then the capacity is relative to the size of car as everyone made woefully underpowered models) etc.

Once you know what you want go look at everything local that fits the bill, whether it's french, german, japanese or whatever. The generalisations people keep making just don't apply at this price, the best car is the one that suits your need and has been well looked after. A well maintained french car is better than any japanese car that has been neglected.

As you've already observed, good cars sell extremely quickly at this price. The scrapage scheme is compounding the problem as main dealers have to send these type of p/x's to scrap so the supply is drying up.

Tallpaul":2zg3clxw said:
This thread is rather amusing. I'll say it again, don't go looking for a specific car at this price. Decide what it is you want i.e. size, no. of doors, diesel/petrol, engine (will a 1.4 do as it's a town run around or do you need 1.6+ as it'll be used on the motorway, even then the capacity is relative to the size of car as everyone made woefully underpowered models) etc.

Once you know what you want go look at everything local that fits the bill, whether it's french, german, japanese or whatever. The generalisations people keep making just don't apply at this price, the best car is the one that suits your need and has been well looked after. A well maintained french car is better than any japanese car that has been neglected.

As you've already observed, good cars sell extremely quickly at this price. The scrapage scheme is compounding the problem as main dealers have to send these type of p/x's to scrap so the supply is drying up.

yep, i agree there. I also believe that how well a high milage car has lasted is all dependant on how carefully it was driven in the first 1000miles. I know there is no "running in" period as there was years ago, but it still applies in mu opinion. So look for those early stamps!!

Back